Menu
pageyboy
Tuning in
Message 1 of 104
Flag for a moderator

V6 Wake from Standby Issues

I got our V6 box installed a few days ago and I have noticed over the last 24hrs that when I try to wake the box from standby that the box either won't wake up or I just get met with a black screen. The only way I have found to resolve this is to switch off the box at the back and then back on which then results in an up to 10min wait time.

I phoned technical today and I got put through to their "lightning team" who are dealing with the V6's. They are aware of the above issue and the box not waking up from standby and they are working on a fix but couldn't give me a time when this will be done. There was no suggested workaround. I suggested how about changing the power saving settings to "Always On." That way the box shouldn't go into standby. He told me I could try that. I don't like leaving the box on all the time as this will increase the workload on the hard drive but I don't see any alternative at this stage unless I want to go through the above procedure several times.

Telewest
Dialled in
Message 2 of 104
Flag for a moderator

Re: V6 Wake from Standby Issues

Yes I have noticed that V6 on waking the box will not show images yet you get sound .... it seems that it's when the box is off for some time when it happens.

And you need to switch off and on to fix this trouble. ...

I have done the usual thing of checking the leads to the box and tv but as said it's a BUG ....

I feel that a software developer is now working hard for VM to fix the BUGS that have been shown on this site and others. ..

It's still better than the original Tivo in speed and 6 channels recording and remember that it also cam with BUGS that got fixed. ..
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 104
Flag for a moderator

Hi pageyboy and Telewest,

Thanks for your posts on the Forum. I'm sorry that you are experiencing a problem with the V6 waking out of standby.

I've checked on this and can confirm that a ticket has been raised for this issue and it has been escalated to our technicians, who are working on a resolution. There's still no estimated fix time, but the last update states that the work around is to reboot the box.

I'll be back in touch as soon as I have more information on this. Apologies for the inconvenience this causes.

Kind regards,

Terri

Virgin Media Forum Team

Need help changing SIM card? Find out more about activating your 4G ready SIM. 4G SIM Swap Help

0 Kudos
pageyboy
Tuning in
Message 4 of 104
Flag for a moderator

A quick update on the above.

I noticed that if I have my power saving settings to "Always On" to avoid the problem I can manually put my V6 box into standby by pressing the power button and it will wake from this with no issues. It saves the hard drive spinning all the time.

PjL
Tuning in
Message 5 of 104
Flag for a moderator

The work around for this is to leave your V6 on all the time and only turn off the TV (and amp if using one).  It's something to do with the way the HDMI sync's the picture.  Alternatively, check that all the video modes are selected in VIDEO SETTINGS on the V6.

Don't worry about the disk spinning all the time as it's the start up and shut down of the disk that usually causes problems with a mecanical drive.

0 Kudos
Beardoin
Joining in
Message 6 of 104
Flag for a moderator

I'd like to add to this thread as it could be a related bug, although its acting in a different way.

My V6 hates being on standby. if I set it to standby, I find its back on the white light again within half an hour, then I stick the tv on for it to show the "Virgin Starting Up" screen message before it appears in the Home screen as if it was turned on for the very first time.
It's pretty consistent this one and still does it now even after an unplug reset of the box.

0 Kudos
Beardoin
Joining in
Message 7 of 104
Flag for a moderator

I'll add to this some more.

It appears even if left switched on, it crashes, but only when the TV is on standby. As I tried to switch the V6 to standby and it refused, so switched the tv on to see it display the Virgin Starting Up screen again.

At a guess this must have something to do with HDMI detection and the box just getting totally confused?

With a bit of further thought, it has been connected to an HDMI switcher thats shared with a bluray and an xbox, so ive gone and moved it away from there and directly into the back of the tv into its second hdmi port. If this makes a difference then at least we will know the switcher was the cause of confusing the V6 box

0 Kudos
pageyboy
Tuning in
Message 8 of 104
Flag for a moderator

There is definitely something in this. When the engineer came out to install my V6 box I initially had it set up going through my amp with the HDMI cable. When he powered it up it started downloading the updates but the screen was flashing green and then the picture itself. He didn't know why it was doing this but it reminded me of the days of when I had my Windows PC and I changed resolution and it was unsupported. The screen just flashed between the new and the old until I changed it to a supported resolution. I ended up plugging the Virgin box directly into the TV. This solved the picture problem but I still have issues waking the box from standby which Virgin have acknowledged and are working on a fix.

I haven't tried this as I am happy with the way I set it up. But it might be worth a try changing the resolution on the V6 to one that isn't automatically detected.

0 Kudos
OWL43
Tuning in
Message 9 of 104
Flag for a moderator

V6 installed last Saturday. Selected manual standby for Sat night with recording of cricket Sun morning.  As no light indicators on V6 , decided to check all OK. Black screen then later "Starting Up" appeared  and remained on screen. After ten minutes or so decided on the reboot option.  Eventual success but no recording had been made.  Immediately commenced current recording. Machine must have completely shut off. Later went through manual shut down with same result.  Changed setting to alway keep V6 on and not shut down after 4 hours option as suggested by fellow community member.  No result.  Having been fortunate to have had a trouble free tivo for a number of years and resisted  my wife"s advice of "if it aint broke etc.", decided to immediately call V6 helpline.  Received helpful advice to correct more minor yet irritating nano-second loss of sound intermittently by switch my dolby setting,  my more important problem proved intractable. I have been through all possibilities with V6 adviser and later myself. Since then tried standby a few times with same result, V6 now permanently on (no problem but should need to be). V6 adviser has not contacted me as arranged,  even to say this is a box problem etc.  Apart from that, everything is working very well with V6 bypassed for my TV to upgrade and display 4K demonstration from i-player. I really do not want to return the  box but would wish/expect an exchange or some other appropriate action to be taken. 

0 Kudos
deans6571
Knows their stuff
Message 10 of 104
Flag for a moderator

In my opinion, there is 100% a fundamental problem with the V6 boxes. 

I had my first V6 one week ago. This experienced the 'stuck on standby' screen, issue you described. I had an engineer switch it out for a new box, only tonight, and guess what? Yep, that's right, this new second box (only just one hour old) ALSO experienced THE SAME EXACT ISSUE. I left the box on standby (red light showing) and in just half an hour, it turned itself on (white light) and became stuck on the standby screen. 

These V6 boxes need to be recalled.........