Menu
B-side
Tuning in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Jerky Picture on Netflix UHD

Got my new V6 Box which works a treat EXCEPT that live streaming UHD(4K) pictures from Netflix gives a jerky image. Watching the same pictures direct to my TV via the same network connection does not have the problem. The V6 is hard-wired to the router and its built-in speed test shows everything fine. 

The image doesn't pixelate but it appears to be doing a repeating freeze then release etc. This would normally indicate a slow network connection but that can't be the explanation as it is fine connected direct to the TV. I have reported the problem and am waiting for a fix.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Jerky Picture on Netflix UHD

Hi B-side, 

Thanks for your post and apologies to hear that you are having this issue with Netflix on your V6 box Smiley Sad 

I can see that since posting you have been in contact with the team. How have things gone with them? 

Did they manage to resolve things for you? 

Pop an update on where things are with this now and if you're still needing support we're happy to help.

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
B-side
Tuning in
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi Kath

When I originally raised the issue with customer support I was passed from one section to another and then another. Eventually I was told they would have to raise a ticket (?) with the V6 development team. Since then I have heard nothing even though I was led to expect they would be in touch.

Meanwhile after reading some helpful comments on this forum I changed the video settings on the V6 to pass-through, meaning I assume that the V6 box is bypassed so that any format conversion takes place in my TV and not the V6. That has solved the immediate problem with the incoming service from Netflix. However, presumably when Virgin start broadcasting in 4K the problem will return since pass-through would not apply. 

B-side

easy1355
Tuning in
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I have a feeling this is teething problems, as I have exactly the same problem. This is also the case on 4K content with BBC iPlayer BETA And YouTube 4K content.

It's nothing to do with internet speed, it's over 150 on download, and that's from wifi, so must be faster on direct connection to the V6 box, and no issues at all with the HUB 3.

Any fixes yet?
0 Kudos
jonandmarkuk
Superfast
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Have you tried adding the 2160p setting on the TV Signal output options.
I've found for me it seems to improve the issue.
Netflix appears to be outputting a progressive UHD signal, which when the same option isn't ticked on the v6 it's having to process the signal instead of simply outputting the signal as Netflix are supplying.

I confirmed this as on the V6 menu the TV will report 50hz output, but when Netflix is playing UHD content it's 24p. 

0 Kudos
shawty1984
Fibre optic
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

jonandmarkuk wrote:

Have you tried adding the 2160p setting on the TV Signal output options.
I've found for me it seems to improve the issue.
Netflix appears to be outputting a progressive UHD signal, which when the same option isn't ticked on the v6 it's having to process the signal instead of simply outputting the signal as Netflix are supplying.

I confirmed this as on the V6 menu the TV will report 50hz output, but when Netflix is playing UHD content it's 24p. 

If 2160p passthrough is ticked then Netflix will send 2160p to the TV without the V6 touching it. 

0 Kudos
jonandmarkuk
Superfast
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Yes, which is why it seems to solve the 'jerky' Netflix UHD picture as it's passing through the image without doing anything with it. Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
shawty1984
Fibre optic
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

jonandmarkuk wrote:

Yes, which is why it seems to solve the 'jerky' Netflix UHD picture as it's passing through the image without doing anything with it. Smiley Happy

My point was someone had already said that but then you said 2160p not 2160p passthrough. 

0 Kudos
B-side
Tuning in
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi easy1355

I have heard nothing since my original post, so no fix. I am beginning to wonder whether this could be a hardware problem which could mean bad news for Virgin if every box has to be swapped out. As previously posted, using 2160 passthrough does the trick for streamed services such as Netflix.

I have got another problem now but I haven't reported it yet as I am trying to tie down the circumstances. This is random dropouts where the screen either goes fully black or fully white with background noise distortion (i.e. fuzzy screen). In either case the box does not respond to the controls such as channel change. It does respond to switch-off though, so when power cycled it fully recovers. Have you experienced that?

B-side

0 Kudos
B-side
Tuning in
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

The latest on this is a software update which is supposed to be happening any time now. I checked yesterday, and so far nothing has changed.

0 Kudos