Menu
Zoomblade
Just joined
Message 1 of 2
Flag for a moderator

Someone else's phone number

Moved house and had Virgin phone, broadband and TV installed.  Was given a phone number by the engineer.  All was well until we kept getting phone calls for a Mrs Harrison.  It would appear that we have HER old phone number.  She did not live in the house before us and lives a few miles away (checked the phone book!)

Can we have a new phone number that did not belong to anyone or is there a way to bar all calls for Mrs H?  We assume That her friends and family are trying to contact her - the number of calls she has missed are mounting...

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
Flag for a moderator

Re: Someone else's phone number

Hi there Zoomblade, 

I'm really sorry to hear that you keep getting calls for a previous owner of your phone number and I'd like to thank you for your post whilst welcoming you to the forums. 

I totally understand how frustrating this must be for you, and I'd like to explain a bit further. 

There is currently a shortage of phone numbers, so therefore all numbers will be recycled once they are no longer required. 

When we issue a phone number to a customer, there is no guarantee that this number has never been used in the past, though should you feel that the number of calls coming through are getting too much we can certainly look at changing the number you have. Though once again, there is still no guarantee that this number had not been issued to someone else. 

Every telephony supplier will have a limited amount of numbers they can issue out to customers, and in some areas you'll find this worse than others. Number shortage is one of the reasons why Area codes have changed over the years, as it allows the telephone companies to create new number ranges. 

Should you wish to have your number changed, then I'd have to ask you to give our customer service team on 150 or 0345 454 1111 so that we can pass security and set the wheels in motion for the number to be changed.

Please let me know how it all goes. 

Huw

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos