cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Instead of the supplied adapter, will I be able to use an RJ11 to RJ11 lead?

NickT1
Tuning in

Instead of the supplied adapter, will I be able to use an RJ11 to RJ11 lead? My Hub 3 and me Panasonic cordless phone both have RJ11 sockets. I won't be changed to digital until February.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

goslow
Alessandro Volta

The VM adapter is nothing more than a connector, no electronic components inside.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

9 REPLIES 9

Vikki_M
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi NickT1

Thank you for your post and welcome to our community.

We would recommend that customers use the adapter that we send to them. 

If you haven't received this yet, this will arrive prior to the switchover in your area.

Vikki - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

goslow
Alessandro Volta

Past topics on here suggest that some of the RJ11 leads VM supplied have not worked (either due to incorrect internal wiring of the RJ11 cable or the fact that some phones required the original cable that came with the phone to work properly).

Did your Panasonic originally come with lead which had RJ11 on one end and BT plug on the other? If so you would be best off trying that with the VM adapter first of all IMO.

If you find that arrangement works OK first of all, you could then look for a RJ11 lead. They are cheap generic parts, it's just a case of making sure you get the right type/configuration of lead.

NickT1
Tuning in

Does the VM adapter consist only of simple pin to pin wire links between the connectors, or are there components such as resistors, capacitors and diodes within it?

Hi @NickT1 

I'm sorry but we aren't 100% sure of the components that actual adapters has within itself, its not something we would be able to advise on from here. 

goslow
Alessandro Volta

The VM adapter is nothing more than a connector, no electronic components inside.

NickT1
Tuning in

I think I will now wait and see what happens after the switchover. I am reasonably confident that my Panasonic cordless phones will work once plugged into the hub via the supplied adapter.

I currently have a 1969 GPO dial phone (type 746) as an extension. I particularly like this device and admire its simplicity and elegance of design. I especially like the governed pulse dial mechanism. I expect that this will not work after the switchover but if I plug this phone into the other TEL socket on the back of the Hub 3, it may well allow me to answer an incoming call and use the handset. If I connect to the hub via an adapter with a ringing capacitor, then it may even ring! It may well be that the phone is reduced to being a desk ornament. We shall see.

Thank you for letting us know.

Most modern phones should work with this without any problems but if you reach out to the manufacturer they should be able to confirm this for you also.

Either way please keep us updated. Cheers 

Matt - Forum Team

New around here?

goslow
Alessandro Volta

The second telephone socket on the hub (TEL2) is intended for a second telephone line to the hub. It doesn't function as a 'splitter' type parallel connection to TEL1

You may possibly get the rotary phone to ring using an adapter with the ringing capacitor inside.

Some people, with the same non-ringing problem in past topics on here, have reported success with this item

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/393200143905

which contains the ringing capacitor to make old phones ring. However, there is no guarantee at all it will fix the problem for your specific phone so keep that in mind when deciding to spend any money to buy/try one.

It is a generic telecoms part (so you don’t have to buy the specific eBay item). An online search on

RJ11 plug to BT socket adapter with ringing capacitor

should find similar items from different suppliers.

The VM system via the hub works on tone dialling so I don't think a rotary phone using pulse will work (although I have a dim recollection someone in the past may have claimed success post switchover). You may have to try it and see.

There are a number of conversion kits and adapters available to convert a rotary phone to tone dialling and allow it to dial out and some companies offer a service to do the conversion. How well they work, I don't know.

Hi NickT1

I am currently having problems since changeover with the caller id display not always showing who is calling. This has not yet been resolved, but in trying to resolve the problem Virgin sent me a RJ11 to RJ11 lead and told me to use that rather than the supplied adapter.  I have a Panasonic DECT cordless phone set and is currently working with just the RJ11 to RJ11 lead connected between phone and hub.  Hope this helps.