cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Failed for Lack of Long Cable

blarnnie
On our wavelength

An engineer visited Friday (24hrs notice after previous email said delayed indefinitely!) to do the switchover. My router is high up on a cabinet to maximise Wi-Fi coverage and my phone is down low where I can reach it. Consequently, the 2M RJ11 cable he came with was far too short. 

Me: 'Have you got a longer cable?'

Answer 'No, this is all I've been supplied with to do the job'

Me: ' Could you ask your supervisor/manager to get a longer lead?'

Answer 'No, this is the only cable we can get'.

Exit engineer, job not done, complete waste of Virgin's time and money (I was home anyway) because apparently only 2M cable available. 

A quick look on line finds a RJ11 cables in a variety of lengths to suit every home; none very expensive.

He left me a letter emphasising how important the switchover is and with a number to call to discuss.

This was just the standard Virgin Customer Service number and I could find no specific option for the Switchover. The telephone option was if you had a fault.

So Virgin, if the switchover is so important why are engineers not appropriately supplied to do the job and where is the customer service support?

Regards

Blarnnie

12 REPLIES 12

Zach_R
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @blarnnie,

Thank you for your post and welcome back to our community forums. We're here to help.

I'm sorry to hear that the technician didn't have a long enough cable to offer to you to complete the necessary connection. What length of cable are you looking for exactly that would be suitable?

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!

blarnnie
On our wavelength

Hi Zach_R

Many thanks for your response. A 5M cable would do it.

Is there a dedicated Customer Service option for the switchover?

Regards

Blarnnie

Ashleigh_C
Forum Team
Forum Team

Thank you for popping back to us @blarnnie 

There is not a dedicated line but our customer service team on 150/0345 454 111 or the team here can advise. 

I would be happy to take a closer look into this with you via a private message and see if there is anything we can do in regards to the cable. I will pop you a PM across now, please keep an eye out for the envelope at the top of your screen alerting you to a new message.

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

It’s the old chestnut about it being equipment that is on the customer side of the hub. When they first bought out the broadband hubs they only came with a one metre Ethernet cable. If you wanted longer you had to provide it yourself. However, this is a forced switchover, so VM should at least reimburse you for the initial connection of your hub to a phone, even if they can’t provide the cable themselves.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

blarnnie
On our wavelength

Hi nodrogd

Quite agree; I've purchased many meters of ethernet cable without complaint! As you say, we are all being forced to switchover and the idea that the thousands of households affected can be catered for with a 2m cable is beyond belief.

I am in a private conversation with a Virgin rep so we will see what happens.

Blarnnie

blarnnie
On our wavelength

An update for anybody interested in this topic. No resolution through the community so have complained officially. Why such a simple solution of providing a longer cable causes so much difficulty is beyond me. I did ask if I would be cut off come switchover date if the problem had not been resolved but no reply to that question.

Blarnnie

Hi @blarnnie 

I can see you have been speaking to my colleague in PM regarding this. 

After escalating this to the AFM,  they confirmed that we do not carry any longer RJ11 cables than 2m.

He has advised that if you are able to purchase a longer cable yourself the engineer could use this to install the switchover.

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

blarnnie
On our wavelength

Hi Ayisha_B

Why not?

I'm quite happy with my telephone service and it's Virgin insisting on the changeover so you would think they would provide the necessary equipment to do it without causing customer angst.

Blarnnie

Zoie_P
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

We advise you continue this conversation via DM so we can best help and keep things from getting confused.

Zoie