Menu
GRCharles
Just joined
Message 1 of 2
Flag for a moderator

No phone signal in the house

HI.  I have had a Motorola phone from Virgin media for approx a year and my wife uses it. It is good value, but there is hardly any signal in the house at all. If my wife wants to make a call or send / receive a text she has to go out into the road.  This is not really acceptable and not 'value for money'. 

Is there any way that the phone can use the wifi to make and receive calls. We have installed SMART call but as I understand it, that will only work in the house if we have paid for free phone calls - so I will need to pay extra to use a phone that I am effectively already paying for but doesn't work. My postcode is in HA4 Thanks - any advice would be welcome.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 2
Flag for a moderator

Re: No phone signal in the house

Hi GRCharles,

Welcome to the community and thanks for posting. I'm so sorry to hear your Wife has hardly any coverage when inside the house. I appreciate this is probably the place where it is used the most.

If your Wife is able to use the handset after stepping outside the property then it suggests the SIM card, handset and area signal are all working fine.

You can check your area signal by entering your postcode here. I'd like to point you to the statement which reads:-

"This map is only a guide and is not a guarantee of service availability in a particular location. It shows outdoor coverage only. As with all radio-based systems, service may be affected by a number of local factors, such as building materials, tree cover and weather conditions".

A few diagnostic steps may be of use to you. You can try the SIM card in another handset to see if things improve. It's also worth comparing with other phones on different networks particularly EE/T-Mobile as this is who we use.

SmartCall is the only way you can make calls through any Wi-Fi connection but as you've already pointed out it is linked to your home phone package. To see what is included in your talk plan you can click here. If you don't have a Virgin Media landline then you won't be able to use it.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Thanks

Rich
Forum Team
0 Kudos