Menu
MiniNinja87
Joining in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Mobile phone using the internet

I recently checked my recent usage and found that my phone has been using internet data. I don't know what it is but it uses as little as 1kb going up to 74mb. Can anyone tell me if this is updates or something else as I don't want to go over my limit when I'm not even using the phone internet

0 Kudos
whenthecatsaway
Dialled in
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Mobile phone using the internet

It could be background data, which you can turn off, things like searching for emails, updatesa, notification. 

Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Mobile phone using the internet

Your phone uses data all the time, bits here and there, it's not a lot but it happens. If you are connected to a wifi router, your phone will use that by default, but otherwise it will use your mobile data.If you've seen a big chunk of data disappear, it's likely your phone has been downloading an update to its operating system, or your offline satnav has been updating its map, or a whole bunch of apps have been given permission to update themselves whenever they feel like it.

The only way to stop this is to turn mobile data off.

Any mobile data that you use in any given day is rolled up into one total that's added to your account at some time after midnight.

Data gets used even when your phone is in standby Some phones will disable wifi after a short time in standby just to save battery. If mobile data is on, they will use that instead, otherwise they will tend to just wait 'til there's a data connection.

This all means you can have data taken off your allowance a) even if you aren't using the internet yourself and b) even when you think it should be coming from somewhere other than your limited and/or chargeable mobile data.

When you exceed your data allowance, any usage of the internet is charged at £1 per day or £1 per 100MB per day if you're on PAYG. This includes the background data your phone uses by itself.

0 Kudos