Menu
dinosaur2
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

recording from tivo to DVD

I currently have my V+ box connected to a DVD recorder.  This means i can record programmes I want to keep from the V+ box onto DVD. 

I've been told that my V+ box will soon stop working and that I need to swap it to a Tivo box.  Will I be able to use the Tivo in the same way  - ie record a programme from the Tivo's hard drive onto a DVD using my DVD recorder?

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: recording from tivo to DVD

The TiVo box has one HDMI socket and one SCART socket.

So assuming you have an HDTV, you'll connect that to TiVo via HDMI and then you'll connect your DVD Recorder to TiVo via SCART.

TiVo outputs exactly the same thing to both HDMI and SCART i.e. the menus, and whatever it's showing. So to archive a show using TiVo, you would then start the show playing, and the record it. During this time you would not be able to use TiVo for anything else (as this would show up on the recording).

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Yes, but with TiVo it's 'real time' only i.e TiVo outputs the same thing to both HDMI and SCART.

You can't do what you can with the V+ HD and watch live TV whilst also archiving via SCART.
0 Kudos
dinosaur2
Joining in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Sorry, I don't understand this

At the moment, with the V+ box

- I record a programme

- sometime later I watch the programme

- having seen the programme, I then decide I want to keep it on a DVD for watching again and again...  So I then record it onto a DVD disc so that I can delete it from the V+ hard drive to free up space.

Will I be able to do this with the Tivo?  If so how - ie how do I connect the 3 pieces of kit (TV, Tivo and DVD recorder)?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

The TiVo box has one HDMI socket and one SCART socket.

So assuming you have an HDTV, you'll connect that to TiVo via HDMI and then you'll connect your DVD Recorder to TiVo via SCART.

TiVo outputs exactly the same thing to both HDMI and SCART i.e. the menus, and whatever it's showing. So to archive a show using TiVo, you would then start the show playing, and the record it. During this time you would not be able to use TiVo for anything else (as this would show up on the recording).

dinosaur2
Joining in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks a lot for this.  I think that I finally am beginning to understand.

So, will I also need to connect my DVD recorder to my TV with another scart cable so that I can watch the recorded disc?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Yes, your DVD recorder needs a SCART IN to take a connection from your TiVo and a SCART or HDMI OUT to connect to your TV.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

isn't that technically not allowed.

Lets not get into arguments i'm saying technically....

I think i remember reading years ago that recordings from live broadcasts could only be made for time shifting and not archival (to keep). Not sure if it was part of the copyright laws or the licencing but i do remember reading it.

Anyone know where i read that?
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

And the medium used for making those recordings was :

Video Tape. Which has no means of expiring the recording once you have watched it. Nor is there any way of policing the copies. Also, VCR copies being only 240 lines resolution, so nowhere near broadcast quality hence the copyright owners turned a "blind eye" to these "pirate" copies, just as they turned a blind eye to cassette recordings of the "Top 40" we all used to do in our bedrooms each week (which were just as illegal). DVD recordings are made to the same resolution, so I assume are treated in the same way.

su1718.jpgCable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV6), Talk Anytime Phone, VIVID 350, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos