Menu
marsboy
Up to speed
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Virgin Need to Raise their Game - Suggestions

As a change for this forum, I want to post something positive. This forum is full of complaints - Slowness of TiVo, problems with iPlayer, etc... 

With the announcement of Sky Q - I find myself thinking that this is what TiVo should of been from the outset. 

I recently called Virgin to discuss my contract. I did mention the general slowness of TiVo, and the response back was very typical. "TiVo is the standard in the US, and they don't have these problems so generally we dont, it must be your Hardware". Ignoring the fact that we have Virgin Branded ones, Different Hardware, etc.... I did do a bit of searching on the US Tivo site. 

Some of the features either Virgin have decided to build from scratch, such as TV Anywhere, is already a function provided by TiVo. In the US they have mobile apps that can stream from your box (https://www.tivo.com/discover/mobile-apps/) and via a web browser. They have Set Top Boxes that allow you to use your TiVo as a remote on another TV (https://www.tivo.com/shop/mini). 

Now, why arent Virgin using their relationship with TiVo to bring this to Virgin? Allow us to stream from our boxes, allow us to watch our recordings on a mobile device while commuting without the need for on-demand? Most of the features (except for the 14-tuner) is covered by existing TiVo technology. I know there are agreements with broadcasters to get this working, but putting in the foundations and opening up the cabilities of TiVo will surely get more broadcasters on board with allowing streaming? As it seems Virgin just concentrate on TV Anywhere - which only real feature is the remote control/remote recording. There is no way to watch our recordings on the go or use any virgin on-demand services via the app. 

Come on Virgin - Exploit the work that TiVo have done in the US! Update our hardware - Roll out more features that people want to use! You need to make yourself relevant in the market place again - Sky are quite frankly killing it - They have a better delivery system for on-demand (in my opinion the ability to download the on demand content is much better - its in a central place not searching or browsing for a series and also if you are using all your tuners, you are not cut off) - They have much more in the way of box sets - they allow customers to download from their on-demand services and you can even stream. 

When Sky Q launches, if they get it right with the hardware and process, I cant see Virgin offering TV for much longer as I think a lot of people will ditch them. I prefer Virgin, Dont have to worry about the weather, my kit is covered under warranty and generally I don't have any problems however it is becoming a dated platform and Virgin as a provider show that they don't want to innovate or keep cutting edge anymore, just constantly adding cost and upping broadband speeds. 

Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Virgin Need to Raise their Game - Suggestions

Virgin didn't write TVanywhere from scratch they us the Tivo version and adapt it to our Tivo's, You can't stream from your box to a tablet because the broadcasters won't allow it, they just about allow streaming between two tivo's on the same network

Sky can stream recording to tablets because they are the channel owners, but I think the number of channels will be very restricted and not all of the recorded programs on those channels will stream

0 Kudos
marsboy
Up to speed
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

They have a multi-room stream agreement with alot of providers. Also Sky are not the owner of Fox, and some of the other channels.

If it is TiVo that write the software for Virgin they could open up much more of the features. Thats the point in my post - Again its a suggestion to get the technical side in place - im sure broadcasters will then end up adjusting and allowing their content when the functionality exists and virgin can go back and say our customers want this. As it is at the moment why would the broadcasters sign up to something that isnt technically possible with the current offering??

I remember looking at Multi TiVo streaming before - that had hardly any channels. Now Sky Movies/Sports and Sky 1/Living are on there so people are embracing these features
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

marsboy wrote:
They have a multi-room stream agreement with alot of providers. Also Sky are not the owner of Fox, and some of the other channels.

If it is TiVo that write the software for Virgin they could open up much more of the features. Thats the point in my post - Again its a suggestion to get the technical side in place - im sure broadcasters will then end up adjusting and allowing their content when the functionality exists and virgin can go back and say our customers want this. As it is at the moment why would the broadcasters sign up to something that isnt technically possible with the current offering??

I remember looking at Multi TiVo streaming before - that had hardly any channels. Now Sky Movies/Sports and Sky 1/Living are on there so people are embracing these features

Fox is owned by 21st centuary fox, which is chaired & part owned by guess who?? Rupert Murdoch. Another inside job. We will have to wait & see what the 2nd Gen VM TiVO is like. No spec as yet, but from the rumours going round we wont be waiting long.

SU1617jpeg.jpg

Cable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV+), Talk Unlim Telco, VIVID 100, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos
marsboy
Up to speed
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

The whole point of writing this wasnt to get into who own who, who is giving who a back hander, but more to point out that virgin just doesnt strive to innovate - they have the technical side already done by TiVo, which is rolled out state-wide in the US (as you can buy it offline). Not like virgin are always adding new functions! 

Everyone is a little too quick to stickup and quote reasons for things not happening. There is nothing stopping Virgin from creating a capable product, and working it out with suppliers. If they are unwilling then thats that but excuses for quite frankly only focusing investment on speed of home broadband is my point. 

Even the generation of TiVo that virgin has does have these capabilities, but they have done nothing with it, except for making it purple. 

That was my entire point, rather than using Fox, News Corp or Sky as a excuse - "well it was probably a deal as they are owned by same company, so whats the point" was not what I was trying to say! 

Dont get left behind, start pulling it out of the bag! 

0 Kudos
frank_gm
Community elder
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

nodrogd wrote:

Fox is owned by 21st centuary fox, which is chaired & part owned by guess who?? Rupert Murdoch. Another inside job. We will have to wait & see what the 2nd Gen VM TiVO is like. No spec as yet, but from the rumours going round we wont be waiting long.

But will we have to pay for this, rumoured only, new box? And, if we don't want to, will we be stuck with a product that is failing to deliver?

I don't really care about a new box, since we pay a handsome amount, I want some of this put towards resolving the multitude of current issues. 

Nice to be able to post again, after their mistake (removed by the Censorship team).
¡No Pasarán!
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Yes, we will have to pay for the new box, just as Sky's CEO has admitted their new box will result in inceased prices for their customers. I'm not going to pass judgement until I see the spec. You can tell how keen I am on the TiVO. I've still got 2 V+ boxes (thankfully both Sammys) which I intend to keep for a while yet.

SU1617jpeg.jpg

Cable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV+), Talk Unlim Telco, VIVID 100, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos
frank_gm
Community elder
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

nodrogd wrote:

Yes, we will have to pay for the new box, just as Sky's CEO has admitted their new box will result in inceased prices for their customers. I'm not going to pass judgement until I see the spec. You can tell how keen I am on the TiVO. I've still got 2 V+ boxes (thankfully both Sammys) which I intend to keep for a while yet.

So, over a barrel, if you want a box that works properly (should I say might?) then you have to pay more. Otherwise continue to pay for a box that they refuse to fix.

Nice to be able to post again, after their mistake (removed by the Censorship team).
¡No Pasarán!
0 Kudos