Menu
HairyFacedHuman
Rising star
Message 1 of 47
Flag for a moderator

Series Link's+ Randomly Reorganising

Manage My Series Links+ has been reorganised again. This is now the 8th time it's done this.

It's not just a block of them this time. The entire list of 90 series links and wishlists have been randomised.

Please VM do something to fix it!

---------------------------------------------------------------
This life hesitates to be enjoyed
Not the slightest prospect of change
Vicious circle
That I'd thought to have escaped
A lasting state of worry prolongs

Mirthless - by - Mirror Of Deception
(from the 2004 album - Foregone)
0 Kudos
HairyFacedHuman
Rising star
Message 2 of 47
Flag for a moderator

Re: Series Link's+ Randomly Reorganising

Make that 9 times. It's just happened again.

Vicious circle

0 Kudos
G4DDS
Rising star
Message 3 of 47
Flag for a moderator

I have had it happen numerous times as well. After VM posted a statement about the slow TiVo and that it was being investigated I asked for a similar statement or comment concerning this. Here is where I posted:

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Virgin-Media-TiVo-service/TiVo-Software-Update-2016/m-p/3198348#...

This thread is also littered with reports of series links re-organising themselves:

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Virgin-Media-TiVo-service/TiVo-Software-Update-2016/m-p/3130964#...

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Virgin-Media-TiVo-service/TiVo-Software-Update-2016/m-p/3131181#...

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Virgin-Media-TiVo-service/TiVo-Software-Update-2016/m-p/3168341#...

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Virgin-Media-TiVo-service/TiVo-Software-Update-2016/m-p/3170287#...

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Virgin-Media-TiVo-service/TiVo-Software-Update-2016/m-p/3198364#...

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Virgin-Media-TiVo-service/TiVo-Software-Update-2016/m-p/3200028#...

Can we have someone from VM comment on this?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Services: 200Mb BB, XL TV (with Sky Sports & Movies) + HD supplement, Talk More Anytime
Equipment: Super Hub 3, 2 x 1Tb TiVo's, Hudl 2 (Android 5.1), Moto G4 Plus (Android 6.0.1), Panasonic LCD TV TX-L32G20B & Plasma TV TX-P42S30B
HairyFacedHuman
Rising star
Message 4 of 47
Flag for a moderator

That was my thread. I decided to start a new one with the 'Actual Problem' in the headline because the original thread has been ignored by the forum staff.

Thanks for the work you've done putting those comments into this post.

Vicious circle

BinghamBloke
Knows their stuff
Message 5 of 47
Flag for a moderator

This has been reported as mentioned by several people several times.
I must admit it's not somewhere I look at as it just deals with itself but due to the report I had a look and yes for sure mine have moved about into a different order.
It has not caused any problems for me as yet but I can see how it could.
0 Kudos
sjp123
Problem sorter
Message 6 of 47
Flag for a moderator

and just to confuse matters, it's yet to happen to me this time around.

0 Kudos
G4DDS
Rising star
Message 7 of 47
Flag for a moderator

BinghamBloke wrote:
This has been reported as mentioned by several people several times.
I must admit it's not somewhere I look at as it just deals with itself but due to the report I had a look and yes for sure mine have moved about into a different order.
It has not caused any problems for me as yet but I can see how it could.

I have had numerous SL's jump from near the top to the bottom and luckily because I check my schedule quite regularly I spotted that a live broadcast was not being recorded because there were 3 higher priorities scheduled purely because the SL with the live sport had made its way to the bottom of the list.

The only reliable way of handling SL's is to not do too many things at once and certainly don't try and perform multiple operations such as deleting SL's and then changing priorities of SL's.

Before I delete an SL, I have a quick look at the surrounding SL's directly above and below and then after deleting the SL I wait a few hours before checking that the surrounding SL's are still where you expect them to be and no rogue SL's have appeared in the slot where the deleted SL previously was.

Similar when moving SL's it is best to only move a couple at a time and wait a few hours before re-checking.

I still find the odd SL moving but since I have only started doing a couple of operations at a time and waiting a few hours between they largely seem to stay where they should be.

Still no excuse though - this bug should really be fixed as it could be corrupting memory affecting other unrelated operations, causing memory leaks etc. It should at least be investigated to determine what the problem is and to determine whether or not it is just a bug that is a nuisance for the user or whether it could genuinely cause "harm" (where "harm" may be such as potentially corrupting the data structures that hold all the SL data for instance) and would therefore be deemed a higher priority fix.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Services: 200Mb BB, XL TV (with Sky Sports & Movies) + HD supplement, Talk More Anytime
Equipment: Super Hub 3, 2 x 1Tb TiVo's, Hudl 2 (Android 5.1), Moto G4 Plus (Android 6.0.1), Panasonic LCD TV TX-L32G20B & Plasma TV TX-P42S30B
HairyFacedHuman
Rising star
Message 8 of 47
Flag for a moderator

I think that I may have figured out when this reorganising of the Series Links happens.

The last time it happened, I noticed that a Network Connection was in progress.

I have since been checking when it is scheduled and avoiding those times when going into Manage My Series Links+. It's not happen since.

Maybe it's just a coincidence... and then, maybe not.

Vicious circle

0 Kudos
G4DDS
Rising star
Message 9 of 47
Flag for a moderator

HairyFacedHuman wrote:
I think that I may have figured out when this reorganising of the Series Links happens.

The last time it happened, I noticed that a Network Connection was in progress.

I have since been checking when it is scheduled and avoiding those times when going into Manage My Series Links+. It's not happen since.

Maybe it's just a coincidence... and then, maybe not.

I had not associated this or found any pattern with network connection times so could be just a coincidence (not saying you are wrong though as we don't really know).

An odd one that I found was this scenario which I did without exiting the manage my series link menu until I had finished:

1. Changed the priority of a number of series links.

2. Changed a setting in one series link (think it was SD/HD preference) but left it in its same position.

3. Changed the priority of a number of series links.

After a few hours I could see that the series links I had changed in the first step were in the expected places as was the series link in step 2 which remained unchanged. The series links in step 3 however had randomly reorganised themselves with no apparent pattern (some were close to their original position, some were close to their new position and some were seemingly nowhere near their original or new position).

Incidentally, I know its forum policy to reply to the oldest messages first* but as I type this, this post has been a week without reply and had slipped to page 10 on my view (setup for 30 threads per page) so this is really taking the mickey not to have some acknowledgenment by VM staff. I think a PM is in order to point them to this thread!

*never really understood this as potential major problems that multiple people are reporting and responding to in the same thread would never get looked at by forum staff yet these are probably the ones that could be the early onset of a potential nationwide issue that may need investigating.

0 Kudos
HairyFacedHuman
Rising star
Message 10 of 47
Flag for a moderator

This morning I wanted to delete 'Wolf Creek' as the final episode of the series aired last night. I noticed that the connection had just finished so went into 'Series Links+'. They showed for a second, then went blank, then showed again. #2,3,4 had gone. I found them at the bottom of the list.

Vicious circle

0 Kudos