Menu
richpaul
Tuning in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Moved house – TiVo box doesn't work in new location?

Hi everyone, we moved house recently from Huntingdon to Hove, and had our installation today to move our Virgin Media service across.

As advertised on the Moving Page we wanted to keep our old TiVo box and recordings. Unfortunately the engineer took one look at the box and said "I don't think that'll work in this region". He did try installing it but it came up with an error message and a call to his tech support confirmed it wasn't working.

Is this actually a known issue that you can't necessarily use a TiVo box from one region in another? And has anyone else had this issue?

We're a bit gutted as had we'd known we would've backed up our important recordings before we moved.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Moved house – TiVo box doesn't work in new location?

Hi richpaul,

A warm welcome to the community Smiley Happy

I'm sorry to hear that you lost all the recordings in the process of moving home.  I have just looked into this and there are occasions where a box may not work if you have moved across different area's.  

I'm sorry that you weren't advised in advance.  

If you have any further queries, don't hesitate to ask.

Collette. Smiley Happy

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
sjp123
Problem sorter
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Are they actually lost though?

I guess you may no longer have the box but if you plugged into the TV and the mains wouldn't it be as if you were just off the network? Sure you couldn't do much but you should still be able to play your recordings 

0 Kudos
andrewilley
Fibre optic
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

sjp123 wrote:

I guess you may no longer have the box but if you plugged into the TV and the mains wouldn't it be as if you were just off the network? Sure you couldn't do much but you should still be able to play your recordings 

I don't think a Virgin TiVo will boot at all if it can't make a valid network connection (not a general TiVo issue, it's a Virgin TiVo one). Really annoying if your box gets rebooted during a network outage.

Andre

0 Kudos
richpaul
Tuning in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Exactly correct Andre. It's not the end of the world for us – we've ended up with a new TiVo and a discount after a chat to Customer Services.

Will contact Virgin though to say that the Moving House page is misleading on this count. Also, given you have to call to move your services, the operators on the phone should really be flagging up that this could be an issue if you are moving between regions.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

sjp123 wrote:

It used to work, but with the TiVO's no longer using viewing cards, all the data that permitted the viewing of subscribed channels & recordings is now only held on Virgin's servers. So each time the box is re-booted, it has to connect to the server to get the relevant permissions to play the recordings.

SU1617jpeg.jpg

Cable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV+), Talk Unlim Telco, VIVID 100, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos