Searching for something?
Fresh as a Daisy
jazzlive

Re: Superhub uPnP Problems

you can get around the double NATing by putting the apple router into bridge mode. Doing this and following the other instructions previously mentioned works fine. I did this with my Airport Extreme which also has two Airport Expresses extending my wireless network. Everything connects fine.

Please use plain text.
Making Waves
Nialto

Thanks for the advice here.

Since upgrading to the new 30 meg super hub, i lost my back to my mac services, which was very frustrating.

I could still access my idisk etc, but i was unable to connect to my computers at other locations. The frustrating thing was that i could see them listed, but just couldn't connect. My set up uses an Airport Extreme and following the guide above, i have it all working now - sweet.

It seems a little daunting at first but persist, it will work. Only problem i had is that the internet kept dropping off as VM are having 'issues' again in my area. When I was making the changes, I wasn't sure if i'd killed it or the connection had died - fortunately, and this is the only time i will say this, it was the connection from VM that had gone down. when it came back again, I was connected.

Thanks for the post. Very helpful.

Alan…

Please use plain text.
Expert Opinionator
SouthWaleschris

pippincp wrote:

daveyrb wrote:

Hi,

Could someone from Virgin please answer this as I have spent the last hour being bounced between Technical Support and Customer Services several times.

I had the 50 meg service installed just before christmas and was supplied with a "Superhub" I run Apple Macs at home and use a feature called "Back To My Mac" this uses uPnP the Superhub seems to be broken in the uPnP department and does not update its routing tables properly.

I would like to be able to either:

A) Disable the routing part of the superb and just use it as a modem with my own Apple router.

B) Have a modem instead so that I can use my own Apple router.

Is this possible?

There is a new firmware being developed which will allow you to switch to bridge mode on the superhub.

It is supposed to be released sometime this month.

not according to a press release issued a week or so ago by Virgin.  They Claim the new firmware isnt gonna be released until May and thats why theres a lot of so many very annoyed people.

Where ever you maybe.... Let your wind go free!

"So in retrospect the best cable to get is cat5e"
Please use plain text.
Making Waves
dmingay

[ Edited ]

The trouble with this solution is that it will be doing double NATing which then causes other issues.

What I really need is a good old fashioned modem that does nothing more than present a true internet address to my router which can then take care of the NATing.

Daveyrb: What are the other issues that will be caused by doing this?

I'm going to give it a go - BTMM is essential for me!

Would have been good for Virgin to mention this before I installed. I would have been happy to wait until they had developed it to work properly. But hey, I'm only a customer. And those new adverts did cost a lot to make you know...

Please use plain text.
Clever-clogs
dpcrabbe

Hello all - did anyone get this working? Have the superhub and news airport extreme bs but can't get it to work. Oddly i can always see my remote computers in the the finder bar...

If anyone has any solutions please let me know...

best, dc

Please use plain text.