Making Waves
Brianardmore

Extending cable to superhub

I have just upgraded to 30Meg and have received and installed the supplied Superhub.  This is not in an ideal position (previuosly I had an etherent cabled connection between Modem and my Linksys WiFi Router).  I need to move the Superhub and do do this need to extend that cable by about 6M.  Two questions.

1.  What is the best Co-Ax cable to use?

2.  There is an attenuator one the current setup - should I keep this or remove it.

Thanks

Please use plain text.
Brainbox
DRH1210

Re: Extending cable to superhub

hi

6m wont really impact your attenuation, therefore, if the engineer put the attenuator on the superhub it was due to the incoming power being on the high side, extending the cable in your house wont change this so leave it on ( assuming the speeds are fine currently )

as for the cable extension, you will probably need to get one made, Maplin are good for getting this kind of stuff. Also, to save adding a barrell connector ( thats how you would connect the existing cable to the extension ) you could move the attenuator from the Hub and use that as a barrel connector. Will save you a bit of cash.

I work for Virgin Media, but all opinions posted here are my own
Please use plain text.
Human Answer Bank
pippincp

[ Edited ]

DRH1210 wrote:

hi

6m wont really impact your attenuation, therefore, if the engineer put the attenuator on the superhub it was due to the incoming power being on the high side, extending the cable in your house wont change this so leave it on ( assuming the speeds are fine currently )

as for the cable extension, you will probably need to get one made, Maplin are good for getting this kind of stuff. Also, to save adding a barrell connector ( thats how you would connect the existing cable to the extension ) you could move the attenuator from the Hub and use that as a barrel connector. Will save you a bit of cash.

No you can't. A barrel connector has 2x male connectors, an FPA has one of each.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ Please note: I have no connection with Virgin Media. All posts are my own opinion only.
Please use plain text.
Wizard
nickp8

[ Edited ]

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/EXTENSION-CABLE-VIRGIN-MEDIA-6m-WHITE-ADAPTOR-NEW-/370475932466?pt=UK_ConEle_S...

Above is all you need. Leave the attenuator on and check the power levels once you have moved the superhub. If they are too low then remove it or change to a lower db attenuator.

IMO if you can replace the whole length of cable so it is one piece rather than joining two cables.

Please use plain text.
Making Waves
Brianardmore

Many thanks.  I assume that I can use a Satellite dish quality Coaxial cable.  I have a barrel connector or two so that is not a problem.  I have a box on the wall with a shield underwhich the present cable disappears - is the cable hard wired in or is it an F connector (low on wall so havn't looked!)?

Also, not comment re attenuator, but..... how do i check power levels - is this apparent in the hub management system?

Thanks again

Please use plain text.
Human Answer Bank
pippincp

Sat dish quality OK, F connector onto the connection on the wall.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ Please note: I have no connection with Virgin Media. All posts are my own opinion only.
Please use plain text.
Brainbox
DRH1210

pippincp wrote:

DRH1210 wrote:

hi

No you can't. A barrel connector has 2x male connectors, an FPA has one of each.

if u get the cable made, then there is no issue..

I work for Virgin Media, but all opinions posted here are my own
Please use plain text.
Emerging Talent
Steve_Q

Just for reference, has it got to be white or would this do the job just as well....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/50m-DIGITAL-COAXIAL-AERIAL-SATELLITE-SKY-COAX-CABLE-RG6-FREEVIEW-BLACK-/16...

Please use plain text.