Searching for something?
One to Watch
Calisto

Internet keeps cutting out, new router/modem

I realise this will be quite a long message. Our internet has been down since Thursday 19th May, and ringing the service status automated line told me there was a fault in the area, and that it would be fixed. Didn't say what the fault was, or any estimated time it would be available again. After a couple of phonecalls to the helpline, a technician came out this evening, just a few hours ago, and replaced my modem and router with a new Netgear Wireless N. He did confirm that this kind of thing was happening all around Leicester, my area.

So while the internet is working, it keeps shutting off for up to half hour, then back on again. In the router settings, I see these in the event log:

"DHCP FAILED - Requested Info not supported."

"No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out"

"Received Response to Broadcast Maintenance Request, But no Un..."

"Started Unicast Maintenance Ranging - No Response received - ..."

In the network configuration, whenever there is no internet, all the settings in there vanish:

"

WANIP Address---.---.---.---
 DurationD: -- H: -- M: -- S: --
 ExpiresD: -- H: -- M: -- S: --
WANSubnet Mask---.---.---.---
WANDefault Gateway---.---.---.---
WANPrimary DNS---.---.---.---
WANSecondary DNS---.---.---.---

"

It cuts out randomly, and comes back randomly too; it cut out several times while writing this message. So what's wrong? Is it something your end, which I'm led to believe it is? There's nothing wrong with the speed of the service, when it's actually running. Please get back to me soon, thank you.

Please use plain text.
Proof’s in the Pudding
Mathew_W

Re: Internet keeps cutting out, new router/modem

Hello Calisto,

Can you confirm if your are a virginmedia cable customer or a national adsl (through the BT phone line) customer. As I am unable to locate any details on you.

Also was the tech a virginmedia one or BT.

Thanks.

Kind Regards,

Mathew_W
Help & Support Forum Team

Seen a useful post?Problem Solved?Fault with your service?
Please use plain text.
One to Watch
Calisto

I believe I am a cable customer of Virgin Media, and the tech was from Virgin Media. Still having the same problems with the internet going down for brief moments.

Please use plain text.
Omniscient
slated

[ Edited ]

what comes out the back of your new Netgear router? Is it like a telephone wire, going to your phone socket, or is it more like a co-axial cable (round, about as fat as a pencil, and not very flexible compared to a telephone wire)?

(PS if your PC is connected by wire to the router that is not the wire I am talking about here)

PPS actuallyI've just read the OP - if the errors are:

"DHCP FAILED - Requested Info not supported."

"No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out"

"Received Response to Broadcast Maintenance Request, But no Un..."

"Started Unicast Maintenance Ranging - No Response received - ..."

then it must be cable, not national - not sure why the Mod would need to ask, unless I am being unusually stupid today?

One to Watch
Calisto

New error message in the Event Log:

"REG RSP not received"

Please use plain text.
Super-Solver
Rose_R

Hi Calisto,

I have sent you a PM.
Regards,

Rose Rafferty

If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the Kudos Star. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as a Helpful Answer? You can also help other users find useful posts by Tagging them with keywords.

If you are new to the forum, please remember to search the forum before posting your question. Please don't send private messages directly to the forum team unless they ask you to, post your issue to the forum first.
Please use plain text.
One to Watch
Calisto

So while this was fixed at the time by a technician, I'm having the same problem again. I recently had my phone line fixed, but whether that has anything to do with the cutting out of internet, I have no idea.

Please use plain text.
Trust Me, I’m a Doctor
Neil_D

Hi Calisto,

I have sent you a PM, can you please reply with the information requested and we will look into this for you.

Kind Regards,

Neil D
Help & Support Forum Team

If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the Kudos Star. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as a Helpful Answer? You can also help other users find useful posts by Tagging them with keywords.

If you are new to the forum, please remember to search the forum before posting your question. Please don't send private messages directly to the forum team unless they ask you to, post your issue to the forum first.
Please use plain text.