Check your service statusCable National
Ask a question
The Sorcerer’s Apprentice
Simbowen

Picture Upscaling

Does anyone know how Tivo handles picture upscaling?

The only reason I ask is that on my old V+ box, the upscaling was very good. Now, even on BBC 1 HD, the picture can vary from "great" to "meh".

Last night, whilst waiting for a program to begin, the show that was currently on looked plain horrible, soft picture, washed out colour and blacks being very grey. When the next show started, it went back to looking great; clear, deep blacks and good colour.

I notice this purely because V+ did a great job, has anyone else noticed this, or is it just me and my TV? :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Good to Know
MattF

Re: Picture Upscaling

Personally i dont think the Tivo upscales as well as V+. As you say everything looks very soft.

Please use plain text.
Simbowen

I'm glad it's not just me!

Please use plain text.
Simbowen

I wonder if there is a software/firmware fix for this?

Please use plain text.
Good to Know
Hoggie

i just turned my tv down to 720p picture still looks great. and its just a touch of a button to get back to full HD :smileyhappy:

this post may contain nuts :smileywink:
Please use plain text.
Simbowen

When you say you've turned your TV down to 720p, are talking about the settings on the Tivo box?

If so, there's a button that switches resolutions?!? Have I overlooked something very important?!? :smileytongue:

Please use plain text.
Good to Know
MattF

[ Edited ]

Simbowen wrote:

When you say you've turned your TV down to 720p, are talking about the settings on the Tivo box?

If so, there's a button that switches resolutions?!? Have I overlooked something very important?!? :smileytongue:

OK - I have found that if you allow Tivo to display a number of different resolutions (its in the video output settings) it will flip from 720P on SD channels to 1080i on High Def.

Perhaps this allows the Tivo to display the channel at the resolution its most comfortable with and i suppose in theory the best quality. HAvent watched enough to prove this theory.

Maybe forcing it to upscale everything to 1080i isnt the best method - although V+ did cope well doing this.

Please use plain text.
Emerging Talent
ever924

I've always had my box set on 1080i & 720p. I'm not sure it makes a difference? I've never noticed my TV switching from 1920-1080 to 1280-720 automatically, or vica versa.

I would agree that the picture quality defiantly doesn't appear to be as crisp & as sharp on the Tivo as it was with the V+. However, the Sky HD channels do look far better than the BBC etc.

Please use plain text.
Brainbox
mlee78

How are people getting the box to switch automatically between 576p/720p for SD and 1080i for HD?  My box seems to just stick in a single video mode, regardless of what I select!

eg at the moment, I have 576p 720p and 1080i all ticked on the setup menu.  (576i is grayed out)

When I switched the TiVo on just now, the TV said it was outputting 576p.  I switched between various SD channels, BBC1 HD, ITV1 HD, Living HD, and it stayed on 576p throughout (Living HD even showed the HD logo on the TV Guide, but still it stayed on 576p).

The only way I've discovered to make it switch modes is to go into a recording, and hit the UP button.  It will then cycle between the video modes I've ticked on the setup menu.  So I kept pushing UP until it switched to 1080i.

So now, if I go back to live TV, whichever channel I go to, SD or HD, it stays on 1080i.

Also, when I tick or untick different modes on the setup menu, it doesn't do anything right away - it just stays in whichever mode it was in before, regardless of whether that mode is still ticked or not.  I have to go back into a recording and press UP, and it will then only cycle between the modes I've selected.

Hope that sort of makes sense?!

Has anyone else noticed this, or is it just me?!  Or am I doing something wrong?

Please use plain text.
Crafty
dcbrown

If I set up 720p and 1080i in the Tivo settings the Tivo changes between the two depending if I'm on an SD or HD channel.

Every now and then when I change channel the Tivo will swap to the SCART output that is connected to the VCR and my surround sound amp changes back to the TV connection rather than the HDMI.

After a while the setting will go back to 720p only without me changing it, I haven't worked out why. Even if I set the Tivo to just 1080i after a while it'll be back to 720p only.

Please use plain text.