Check your service statusCable National
Searching for something?
Clever-clogs
richwood
Helpful Answer

Constant reboots

Anyone have any ideas what might be causing a Tivo box to reboot every 30 minutes or so?

I had the box replaced on Monday, and a new viewing card fitted this afternoon, but it still reboots constantly. The engineer is due to get in touch again tomorrow to arrange yet another visit, but I'm not holding out any hope of a fix any time soon.

The signal strength is fine, the broadband on the same cable and the V+ box upstairs have no problems, and it's not power as nothing else connected to the same circuit is affected.

It'll quite happily reboot when recording, playing back a recording, or even just showing live TV.

Given that I've only managed 1 complete recording since Saturday I'm not particularly impressed with it at the moment.

Please use plain text.
Freakishly Helpful
NickO

Re: Constant reboots

Hi Richwood,

Very sorry that your box is causing such trouble. What was wrong with your original box, was it the same problem?

Thanks,

Nick

Nick Ontiveros
TV Strategy, Digital Entertainment
Please use plain text.
Clever-clogs
richwood

Yes, same problem with the original box.

It was fine for a fortnight then started repeatedly rebooting on Sunday, this was logged and prompted the replacement on Monday afternoon.

Please use plain text.
Clever-clogs
richwood

Apparently they now think it's an account problem, but the engineer isn't working this weekend so it's probably got to wait until Monday. I did ask about getting the V box upstairs swapped for a V+ so I could at least record the rugby, but that can't be done either because the engineer is off.

Looks like a weekend without a properly working decent sized TV then. Given that I'm still in the initial 28 days and could therefore cancel, I wonder if Sky could supply a Sky+ box any sooner?

Please use plain text.
Clever-clogs
richwood

That's another 19 reboots that I can spot from broken recordings since the engineers visit yesterday. So probably another 50 or so to look forward to before anyone will look at the problem again :smileysad:

Please use plain text.
Clever-clogs
richwood

Another 6 reboots and a complete lockup since last night.

I'm meant to be ringing the engineer Monday morning to tell him it's still not fixed, I think I'll be ringing cancellations instead.

Please use plain text.
Clever-clogs
richwood

WellI thought things had settled down over the weekend, but nope, another bloody reboot during Wonders of the Solar System this evening. That makes about 70 reboots in the last week that I've bothered to make a note of.

They expect people to pay for this rubbish?

Please use plain text.
Clever-clogs
richwood

I've now been told to wait until at least Thursday for the new software update.

I can save them the trouble, my contract will almost certainly be cancelled by then, I'm not prepared to put up with a non-functioning box for what will be nearly a fortnight.

Please use plain text.
Freakishly Helpful
NickO

Hi Rich,

Please direct message me with your account information (name & account number, and TiVo Service Number if possible). I don't think it's acceptable to have a "wait and see" approach and want this to be raised as soon as possible.

I apologise for your inconvenience and hope that we can keep you as a customer. 

Thanks,

Nick

Nick Ontiveros
TV Strategy, Digital Entertainment
Please use plain text.
Clever-clogs
richwood

Yet another recording lost to a reboot tonight, and it was all looking so promising the last few days :smileysad:

Given the lack of stability of the Tivo, the lack of any pro-active support from Virgin, the complete mess made of my billing (first bill 50% more than promised, second contract received for even more), and the lack of response so far to my recent complaint about all the problems with the Tivo and billing, it looks like I'll be forced to make use of the 28-day get out clause in my contract.

It's a real shame. I've had a Tivo for nearly a decade and loved it, but I can't trust this one, or Virgin's support processes at the moment. Being stuck with a faulty box (or cable, or account or whatever may be causing it) and being told you'll just have to wait for a future software fix is just not good enough. I don't want to have to go back to Sky because it's an inferior product, and the 50M VM broadband is quite nice, but nothing I've seen so far fills me with confidence that this box I've paid £150 for will work reliably.

The 28 days is up on Friday, that still leaves a couple of days for me to be convinced to stay.

Please use plain text.