Menu
Community elder
Message 11 of 15 (275 Views)

Re: the get it right from a genuine site crackdown

drifting a little off topic now, to the mechanica of e-newspaper subscriptions

I have asked hte Guarding this, twice, and have said no answer = no subscription but they keep ignoring me...

I am tempted to pay if only to stop the constant nags when reading for free, but...

If I buy a digital only subscription - how do the limits operate. Can I then read on any PC, tablet I own logged into my account... then can my wife also read on the smart phone on the same sub.. if I dont get multiple device usage then I am unwilling to pay, e.g. I alternate between tablets all the time - one in iuse, one on charge.

As they will not answer and there's nothing in their FAQ or on google I am left guessing. It would not make sense to tie a subscription to an IP address as many subscribers will want to read at home + at work + on the commute. but they need some limits to stop entire communities sharing one sub ?. if I go buy from the newsagents we can all read the same paper copy, all at once if we share out the sections.... 

also, the other big reason to pay is to go ad free. but it is it really ad free or will there still be click-bait crap from taboola stuck at the bottom of each page.

I welcome feedback on other subs that are available like the Times, the Telegraph, NY times. I can read 2 out of 3 of those by frequently wiping cookies beofre the free article limit kicks in - I'd consider paying up if I had answers to the device limits questions above

0 Kudos
Rising star
Message 12 of 15 (130 Views)

[ Edited ]

Like I said on the other thread - Torrenting will be made illegal.  Probably after Brexit.Smiley Indifferent

Here's a pasted list off wikipedia (which was blocked itself, ironically)

Torrentbit
Torrentdb
Torrent download
Torrent Express
Torrent Funk
Torrent Project
Torrent Room
Torrents.net
Torrent Us
Torrentz.cd
Torrent Zap
Vitorrent

Does anyone see a pattern?

--
The only winning move is not to play.
No system is 100% secure.
The only thing constant - is change. Chris Evans.
Ridicule is nothing to be scared of - Adam Ant.
I only invent the bomb - I don't drop it. Bryce Lynch.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Message 13 of 15 (114 Views)

Torrenting in of itself isn't a illegal thing. It's what people torrent which changes the picture. Plenty of people use it for download Linux etc distros and other legit content. World of Warcraft relies on torrenting to share patch updates I believe, that being a legit gaming example of torrenting.

- - - - - -
Any opinions expressed by myself are entirely my own and do not represent Virgin Media in any way.
Superuser
Message 14 of 15 (99 Views)

Dont want to sound old, but torrenting is soooo last year (or 3-5 years ago actually)

Kids today dont even know what it is. They too busy with itunes and streaming on demand through legitimate options to take the time and effort to find a decently seeded torrent.

Itunes killed music torrents, Netflix, amazon prime et all have rung the death knell for movie torrents. Its a convenience thing. People will pay for a convenient , legitimate service, which is how it should be.

Fully loaded Kodi was torrents for the masses, now its dead too (thank the lord)

The flip-side of this is ISP's actually LIKED torrents, it reduced peering costs (a decent client prioritises nearby stable connections) and especially in VM's case, it fits QOS at the CMTS. More connections with less throughput.

Which explains why they have stuck absolutely to the block-list, not sought out URL's to block.

As for criminalising torrents- no chance. The authorities have always played catch up. They went after Hawkies World , the user base moved to supernova. Then came TPB. They came after the trackers, the user base moved to DHT.  The death throws are private trackers and magnet links. At least peer flooding has been more or less stopped, shows the user base is ahead of the curve. But its JUST SO EFFICIENT there will be torrents up until we get synchronous connections....and as mentioned there are totally legitimate uses for them. BBC Iplayer started with torrent technology...

Rising star
Message 15 of 15 (87 Views)

Just opinion that's all.  I reckon that various bodies will lobby Donald Trump (who is more than probably sympathetic to their cause).  The RIAA have been trying it on for years (they got Napster closed down after it went legit) and the MPAA have too.  Then there's those in charge who are clueless about technology and it's effects on the general population.  It goes back to what cybmole was saying on the other thread about rights.  A lot of stuff is way too much mither (a northern word akin to grief) to bother with.  I ummmed and ahhhed over buying a new computer (which I eventually did) and I'm still not sure if I made the right decision.Smiley Indifferent

--
The only winning move is not to play.
No system is 100% secure.
The only thing constant - is change. Chris Evans.
Ridicule is nothing to be scared of - Adam Ant.
I only invent the bomb - I don't drop it. Bryce Lynch.
0 Kudos