cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VOIP Change over

Holtyd86
On our wavelength

So currently my phone and TV are downstairs and my Broadband is upstairs in the front bedroom, we are changing to VOIP in Jan 2024 and as the phone is downstairs VM said they will need to come and move my Broadband down stairs to sit next to the phone free of charge.

A few things, will the technician check the modem speeds? as I'm currently on a Hub 3 and it keeps dropping to like 18 meg now and again I have to reboot it to get over the 100 meg again, If so will he swap the modem if needed?

If in the long term I want to move the broadband back to my spare room as I might turn into an office is it just a case of me moving the modem back up etc?

If I have weak spots do they provided WiFi Boosters? or am I best getting them elsewhere?

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3

goslow
Alessandro Volta

Give yourself some flexibility if you are thinking of moving things around in future and buy a set of cordless phones. Plug the base station into the hub. Use satellite phones around the home where required.

Moving the hub to a new location may affected the wireless coverage in your home. Sometimes this can be advantageous if the hub is not in a good place to start with but may be detrimental compared to an existing setup that works well.

VM can also modify your home phone wiring to allow extension sockets to work after switchover and keep existing equipment in the same place. Default cut/paste answer to a 'phone/hub in different locations' query is ...

Ask VM (via the VM forum team on here, when they reply to this topic) to modify your home phone wiring so you can use your existing landline extension sockets via the phone connection from the VM hub.

VM should offer to do this free of charge for you as part of the switchover process.

Make sure they make modifications to your phone wiring so you can keep each piece of equipment in the same place (rather than the offer which sometimes crops up on here to move the hub to a different location)

Refer here https://www.virginmedia.com/help/landline/switchover

Do I need to book a technician visit? You’ll need to book a free technician visit if...

• You rely on your landline for accessibility needs or don’t have a mobile to make an emergency call – we’ll provide you with an Emergency Back Up Line so you’re always able to call emergency services.
• You’ve got connected devices such as a burglar alarm linked to a control centre, use a telecare device, or have other phones connected to extension sockets. You’ll need to contact your provider and let them know about the switch if you have any of these to make sure they’re compatible with a fibre service.
• The Hub and your home phone can’t be placed near each other.

Alternatively, a cordless phone system allows you to use phones around the home with no wiring modifications or disruption. Plug the cordless base station into the VM hub and use the cordless satellite phones around your home as required. If you already have a cordless system, you may be able to add in another cordless satellite phone to the existing setup as/if required. If you needed to buy a cordless phone system, to avoid any rewiring work, this would be at a cost to you.

eileenallison
Up to speed

other than the item supplied to connect to a router to plug the now defunked landline into, is there an adapter to use with this?

Once the switchover has taken place, you plug the VM adapter into the TEL1 socket of the VM hub and you plug your phone into the VM adapter

21-cv-connection-to-hub.jpg

Or are you asking how the existing telephone sockets are reconnected to the phone socket on the VM hub?