Menu
Joining in
Message 1 of 3 (166 Views)

TV Anywhere Picture Quality Unwatchable

Hello

I find the quality of the streaming on TV Anywhere to be extremely low quality.  It is not just that it is in standard definition, but also that the bit rate for that resolution is very low resulting in images that are unwatchable.  I have tried in multiple browsers and computers and it is nothing to do with my internet connection which can stream 1080 and 4k etc absolutely fine.  All my browser and plugins are also up to date.  It appears to be the default format Virgin Media are using for this service.  For example in Supergirl in any scene with movement or a transition from one scene to the next;tv anywhere suprgirl.jpgvirgin media supergirl 2.jpg

This pixilation happens every scene or shot transition and make watching action impossible.  I can't think of any other streaming service where the quality is this low.  I wouldn't even mind watching things in standard definition if the bitrate was high enough to handle the movement onscreen.  I am hoping this issue will be addressed soon and the service that I am paying for will comparable to other streaming services.

Thanks for reading.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Message 2 of 3 (132 Views)

Re: TV Anywhere Picture Quality Unwatchable

Hi jumbah, 

Thanks for your post and welcome to the forums. It's great having you on board with us in the Community Smiley Happy 

I'm sorry to hear that you are having an issue with pixellation and the overall viewing experience whilst using TV Anywhere. 

Are you getting this on all channels you are trying to stream? 

What browser are you using?

In order to raise this up further I need to replicate the issue and currently, I'm getting good quality. 

Come back to me when you can. 

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
Well-informed
Message 3 of 3 (128 Views)

Re: TV Anywhere Picture Quality Unwatchable

It's always been inferior to every other TV streaming service. I too have tried TV Anywhere on a host of devices; on a phone it's OK, on a tablet not too bad, on a big screen, just terrible. When there are lots of independently moving objects the codec/bitrate can't keep up. When watching football, the ball can simply disappear. We all know this, yet Virgin Media continue to pretend like it's news to them.

ITV Player, 4OD, My5, Sky, iPlayer have all raised their game when it comes to stream quality, to the point where you can easily forget that you are watching an internet stream. But Virgin's offering just continues to lag further & further behind.

I could post up clear examples that prove TV Anywhere's picture inferiority but nothing will change. While they continue to bury their heads in the sand on this matter, don't hold your breath for any improvement.
0 Kudos