Menu
Pastorius
Tuning in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Sky Sports Player unfit for purpose

Hi,

I'd like to voice my displeasure to Virgin Media regarding the new, mandatory, Sky Sports Player. It is utterly unusable and appears to be so for just about everybody. As soon as the stream transitions to HD quality, it becomes incredibly laggy, showing about one frame every 2 seconds or so. The premier league and rugby season (most popular sports) is just about upon us and it seems there is no communication from Virgin or Sky regarding the unfit for purpose player that is foisted upon users. I suspect it is an issue with "Cisco Video Guard" which sounds like a DRM programme running in the background to prevent illegal streaming. Given that it is rendering legal streaming impossible, I wonder what they think that will do for illegal streams - make them more popular maybe? Could a representative from Virgin please answer the following questions:

1) Is there a fix in the pipeline, and if so, when is this going to be implemented?

2) Is there a workaround to the issue (reverting to an old player would be a welcome choice)?

3) Given this is a service that we are paying for through VM, will partial refunds be made available to users who are paying for a service but not receiving it?

I appreciate this is an issue that has been created by Sky launching a new mandatory programme to watch their sport through, but Virgin is a partner with Sky in that it offers access to Sky programming and thus has a stake in making sure this is resolved as soon as possible.

Many thanks.

eastwc00
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Sky Sports Player unfit for purpose

I am also interested in this. Having the issue where after about 1hr of streaming I get 

Error code: HEARTBEAT_EXCEEDED_MAXPLAYOUT

I then need to close the browser that I signed in on and re-open and re-log in. Makes watching any sport frustrating, added to the lagginess and delays (100M Virgin link with this being the only device in use and still buffers!!).

Connected via wifi, how can this be fixed?

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi Pastorius,

Thanks for posting.

I'm really sorry for the trouble you're experiencing with the Sky player, I can understand your frustration.

Sky are aware of these issues and are currently working on an update to resolve them. As soon as we get an update on this we'll let the Community know.

All the best

Josh

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
MGB54
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi Josh

It seems there is an update available - another member of the forum team stated this and said that the Sky Player had been updated a week ago. I disputed this as the Download page for Windows and Mac had the date of the last update as 5th July 2017.
However, this morning when trying once again to watch Sky Sports I notice the Download pages says it was updated the 17th July 2017.

Brilliant! - no not really
Now I have downloaded the latest Desktop Sky Player for Windows I no longer get the S Sports Player window with the Error Code 7005 instead I am watching the window with a never ending revolving blue wheel! - and no automatic registering of my device ( a PC).

I really hope the Update has helped a lot of other people.
For me it might be time to give up and go back to Freeview.

MGB54
0 Kudos
MGB54
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

sorry typo
I mean't the new update was 17th August 2017

MGB54
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi MGB54,

Thanks for getting in touch.

I was made aware of the update earlier today, I honestly have no idea why it wasn't picked up on sooner. I apologise for that.

It seems that Sky have resolved quite a few of the error code and buffering issue with this update. Unfortunately, there seem to be some new bugs in this update too!

The most common one we've seen so far is error 1949 which pops up every 20mins. We've reported back to Sky with the new issues and our 2nd line team has been checking with them daily for updates.

Hopefully we can get this sorted as soon as possible. I'm really sorry again for the trouble this has caused. It's a massive pain to be honest!

Speak soon

Josh

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos