Menu
jgaaf
Just joined
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Turn off wifi at night

Hi,

I have a teenage daughter and I don't want her up all night of social media etc, on school nights.

Is it possible to set a timer to turn of wifi during certain periods e.g. 11pm to 5am, Sunday to Thursday?

Thanks,

Jo

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Turn off wifi at night

Hi Jo

if you have one of the older VM hubs then have a look at this post from @Shelke about timed MAC filtering:

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Switched-On-Families/Set-internet-time-limit-for-child/m-p/31387...

If you have the latest Hub 3 then MAC filtering doesn't work on that hub at the moment, but the second post from Shelke on the thread linked to above has a possible workaround using IP filtering.

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong Smiley Happy If my answer solves your problem please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Superhub 2 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

0 Kudos
stevedh2
Knows their stuff
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Although if she's using a phone be careful you don't just push her to use mobile data... unless its her paying the bill.

MrHalfAsleep
Rising star
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

I switch my hub off when I'm not using it.  Stops any nefarious types sniffing the wi-fi and keeps the electric bill down (not by much though).  Not much cop if you have a smart TV though.

--
The only winning move is not to play.
No system is 100% secure
Ridicule is nothing to be scared of - Adam Ant
The only thing constant - is change. Chris Evans
The internet is a series of tubes
0 Kudos
tkdsouth
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

you could just give the children access to the guest network (rename it something friendly) and then you can turn off and on at will or even use the date and time option,

its a pain and has to be done daily but its the best they offer at this time.
0 Kudos