cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Set internet time limit for child

Lasha
Tuning in
Ive recently grounded my son from all electronics & want to set internet limit to block him completely. Is there a way to do this without cancelling my internet? This needs to be done so he cant get online w/his xbox, tablet, laptop & phone. I want to be able to chose when he can access. Is this possibly?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Why is something that is so obviously needed by parents, so ridiculously hard? I think Im going to have to continue unpluggling it removing the damn power supply and hiding it in my room (although I'm told you should keep them plugged in for updates). It's utterly ridiculous to have to resort to this just because internet providers can't provide a simple piece of software to control my hub which should be accessible from my phone.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

47 REPLIES 47

Shelke
Alessandro Volta

If you have a Superhub 1 or 2 or 2AC you can do the following to filter their access as I explain here, link: http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Switched-On-Families/Controlling-Teens-Time-on-Wifi-Parental-Con...

Note that you can only setup 7 rules and each block that you want to go past midnight will require two rules to be in effect. So you could at most block 3 devices from getting online between 9PM to 7AM (for example.) And one device you could block from getting online between 9PM to midnight.

The hub 3.0 does not offer MAC filtering like that, so that isn't an option.

In general, if you want to be able have more blocks in place or have any at all (if you have a hub 3.0) you would need buy a WiFi router with a WAN port. Connect it to your Superhub and put your Superhub into modem mode. Get your devices online through the 3rd party router and apply the parental controls in the WiFi router - of course ensure the WiFi router you are thinking of buying has parental controls to begin with and that you think they are good enough for your requirements.

Edit: typo adjusted.

Shelke
Alessandro Volta

@Lasha I was toying around with my hub 3.0's settings and noticed something you can try to filter the access. That is if you have a hub 3.0:

1. Browse to http://192.168.0.1 - sign in.
2. Click Advanced Settings -> DHCP
3. You will then be at this page here: http://192.168.0.1/?dhcp_setting&mid=DHCP and set an reserved IP address for the device. Use the Apply Changes button to save the changes. Do this for each device you want to filter.
4. In Advanced Settings click Security -> IP and Port Filtering
5. You will now be on this page: http://192.168.0.1/?ipfilter&mid=IPFiltering - Click the 'Create a new rule' button.
6. Configure a rule like:
*Enabled
*Protocol: ALL
*Source IP Address: SINGLE
*IPV4 Address: specify the reserved IP address you typed in at step 3.
Destination: ALL
Source port range: (START) 1 (END) 60000
Destination port range: (START) 1 (END) 60000

(Example screenshot follows):

PF1.png

7. Click the Add Rule button.
---Note: If the DHCP reserved IP addresses of the devices you want filtered are in order like .7 .9 .9 then you can set SOURCE IP from SINGLE to RANGE. Do not use the range option if the IP addresses are not in order or not reserved.
8. Do this for each of the devices you want to filer.
9. (Scroll down the page now) By default 'Always on is ticked. This will block their access at all hours.If that is what you want, tick the Apply changes button. If you want to set certain hours devices cannot be used:wanted to put a tick in 'I only want to restrict Internet access at' and then tick 'Different times on different days of the week'

You can specify the hours the filtering should be active by clicking each box in the grid (example screenshot follows.)

PF2.png

10. Click the 'Apply Changes' button.

*Note #1: The above likely won't work if you have the Firewall disabled
*Note #2: The hub 3.0 has numerous bugs, so not all features may work as intended.

Edit: Typo adjusted.

Hi Shelke

Thank you so much for your info and the time it took you to post it. I am going to sit down and have a good look at it and try your options. In the meantime I've been taking the entire hub to work with me lol
😂

I've also just checked and see I have the one simply called Super Hub. Can I do this with this one or do I need a router as well?
Cheers

Shelke
Alessandro Volta

@Lasha wrote:
I've also just checked and see I have the one simply called Super Hub. Can I do this with this one or do I need a router as well?
Cheers

@Lasha Yes, filtering with the older hubs is much easier to do, but very limited in rule amounts sadly.

The Superhub 1 then Cat Happy If you have the original Superhub (VMDG480) the coax and info sticker is located on the back of the hub. If you have a Superhub 2 to Superhub 2 AC the info sticker is located on the base and would state the model number as either VMDG485 or VMDG490. In the advent of having the original Superhub (Superhub 1), or Superhub 2 or even Superhub 2 AC the following is the way to go about filtering Internet accesshttp://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Switched-On-Families/Controlling-Teens-Time-on-Wifi-Parental-Con...

Whereas if you had the newest hub (hub 3.0 VMDG505) - the big white grilled one, then my advise above would have been worth a go.

As I mention in the linked topic, you can only have 7 rules max  - I've no idea why the limit is so low. And you need two rules per device if you say, wanted to block a device's Internet access between 9PM to 8AM.

So if you wanted a wide array of devices blocked during certain hours, you would need a 3rd party WiFi router that offered parental controls as a feature. Which you'd use in conjunction with the Superhub that would be set to run in modem mode. An Ethernet cable linking the two devices.

FlashPan
Fibre optic

Hi,

My reply in this thread is a bit more techy but does more:

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Switched-On-Families/blocking-access-to-certain-websites-at-cert...

You can set his up to block certain types of access and also at certain time of day and night.

One major plus for this I reckon it's a bit more fire and forget.   Set the options and then give out the wifi password to the kids and their friends.  Any device that you do and do not know about will be restricted to whatever setting you have made.

No need to keep up with knowing/finding out mac addresses and setting up new devices to be restricted etc.

Sadly now January 2017 Virgin have still failed press the 'on button'. The feature is there to programme days/times of access but all it does is knock the nominated device off as soon as you apply the first rule. I beleive the hub 3 has been out over a year yet still this issue that would help millions of parents out still doesn't work.

Yes all you have to do is press the reset button and it takes off all restriction rules

The only thing that seems to work is set a guest wifi account, and manually turn it off when not needed. You can then change the password of your router so your devices are not effected and put the guest account detaikls on the fridge or something so they can use it.
this way you are once again in control, (for now) 🙂