cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Set internet time limit for child

Lasha
Tuning in
Ive recently grounded my son from all electronics & want to set internet limit to block him completely. Is there a way to do this without cancelling my internet? This needs to be done so he cant get online w/his xbox, tablet, laptop & phone. I want to be able to chose when he can access. Is this possibly?
47 REPLIES 47

tkdsouth
On our wavelength

Change your Hub passwords and put him on the guest account (rename it as well) Teens network or something. This can be turned off or on at your will. It dont thing this helps with wire networks but what teen would be seen with a wired network 😉 i dont think they know what a corded phone is 🙂

coopso
On our wavelength

@Shelke - thanks for this guide

Took me about a million tries but I got there in the end. My notes:

Firstly I found it more reliable to manually enter the MAC address of each device I wanted to reserve (instead of using the check boxes I literally typed the MAC address in myself).

I found the superhub needs to reset itself evey time you reserve an IP address. Just wait to be kicked back to the password screen.

I found using the simple slider to set times did not work, but the option to choose different times on different days of the week worked (exactly as stated in your guide).

@Virgin: your superhub is so bad guys. You need to get a firmware update out there and at least kill the functionality that doesn't work. I'm assuming you're not actually going to fix it 😞

Much easier is this ..
'wifi blocker' app on Apple Store.
It works great with the hub3. We use it in our house .. you can hear it works with out 13yr old screams when she's blocked lol.

Didn't work. About time Virgin sorted it out. If you can do it on older hubs you should be able to do it on this one!! Get with it Virgin!

kdodd625
On our wavelength

I thought that was the answer. But, unfortunately, it doesn't work.

Apparently it's one of the bugs on the new Superhub 3. If it's used it causes other features not to work.

According to Virgin, they are working on the firmware but have no idea when it will be sorted!

kdodd625
On our wavelength

That sounds good. Do they do one for Android?

I was wondering the same as I have Android. I tried setting it through IP filtering and it did kind of work but did everything an hour on from the times I set it at. Weird. It's hard work to do such a simple thing.

coopso
On our wavelength

Hopefully my last posting here.

Just to say I have switched to BT and their parental controls including setting access time limits per device are absolutely perfect: very intuitive and.... they work. 

I have no expectation that Virgin will pay any attention as my understanding is that their access restrictions have never worked, certainly not in the last couple of years. But would be good if they would take a leaf out of BT's book. Many other aspects of the BT smarthub are better too.

Good luck to those who remain.

I've considered changing providers to be honest as virgin like taking customers money but make very little or no improvement. Thanks for all the info.

timcsalmon
On our wavelength

I can't believe I left BT with MAC filtering settings that worked perfectly to end up here searching for a way round this (with no luck so far) - Virgin - please if you offer something on your hub make sure it works and if it doesn't fix it - This is obviously a long term issue and I just can't believe that they have not released a fix as yet. Will not be renewing at end of contract.