Menu
ShiroKen
Tuning in
Message 1 of 2
Flag for a moderator

"Slow" (throttled?) YouTube upload speed

Hey guys
I'm not really that heavy of an internet user, even less so now that I have to care for my Grandad as I'm hardly ever at home; but once or twice a month I need to upload a few hours of tournament footage to YouTube, which can be in the region of 30-40GB.

I was previously on the top residential package and I think I used to get upload speeds of around 12mbps when uploading to YouTube.  However, because I have to upload a lot of data and I'm not at home as much to be able to do it, I went and subcribed to the homeworks package which is 300mbps down and 20mbps up.

But my YouTube uploads are only going at 8mbps.

I don't think I'm being throttled; like I say I've hardly been at home for the last year or two, and the others in the house are only light users.  I think there was one or two occasions where I got the full 20mbps upload though.

I don't think it's a connection issue, as I can hit the 20mbps upload speed no problem on the speed test websites.  Sure enough, I'm uploading to YouTube right now, literally only just started and it's going at 8mbps.  I can run a speed test at the same time and it will give me about 12mbps, so the bandwidth is there, just it's not being used.

Can someone tell me what's going on?

Do Virgin throttle YouTube uploads?  Is the throttling implemented by YouTube themselves?  Would it help if I split my footage over 2 laptops and uploaded at the same time?

This is really frustating.  I decided to pay the extra money for the upload speed but I don't even get half of what I pay for.  I understand fair usage, but this isn't even a case of me being throttled for being a heavy user!

1767924282.png

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 2
Flag for a moderator

Re: "Slow" (throttled?) YouTube upload speed

Hello ShiroKen,

Thanks for posting Smiley Happy

Sorry to hear about the problems you're getting with your upload, I know it's inconvenient.

I've checked your connection and noticed that your Hub is currently in Modem Mode. The slow speeds you report, is that via a 3rd party router? Would you be able to test the connection speeds hard-wired directly from your Hub?

If you get back to us we will gladly investigate further.

Catch you soon,

Take care.

Heather_J

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos