cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow speeds after 1gb update

J88rdy
Joining in

Hi guys, I know many posts like this have been posted however mine is slightly different I think.

I recently cancelled virgin 500meg package and have joined back a couple months later on their 1gb package, 

I used to get speeds of 512 meg over WiFi on my phone, firestick etc, however now the very maximum I'm able to get is 300.

Samknows says I'm getting 1145 at the router but even stood next to the router I can no longer get anything over 300meg.

I run diagnostics and it says there are problems with your WiFi, and I run them on virgins broadband checker online and it tells me to reset my hub which I've done several times but still the problem seems to persist. 

Has anyone had a similar problem and overcome it? I realise I won't get my devices to show download speed of 1gb and that's not a problem but when it's anything from 50-75% slower than before something must be wrong somewhere, any advice appreciated.

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

The challenge with wireless is technology moves on with different standards. So, the HUB 5 will have different wireless standards than the HUB 4 you had previously.

Roughly speaking you should see around 2/3 - 3/4 of the connection speed as your download speed to each device.

On top of that the pods aren't great so won't provide very fast speeds (minimum guaranteed is only 30Mbps).

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

8 REPLIES 8

J88rdy
Joining in

Screenshot_20231128-183843.png

Screenshot_20231128-172039.png

carl_pearce
Community elder

If you access the HUB and check the 'Connected devices' section what speed are your devices connected at?

Firestick is circa 866, phones 433, firepad around 75,

Not sure if these are normal or correct, I'm just surprised that when I run speed tests on these devices I'm getting less than I was with my hub 4 on 500 meg. I know speed isn't everything and other than needing a WiFi pod sending out to boost the signal to the front of the house everything is working pretty well.

The challenge with wireless is technology moves on with different standards. So, the HUB 5 will have different wireless standards than the HUB 4 you had previously.

Roughly speaking you should see around 2/3 - 3/4 of the connection speed as your download speed to each device.

On top of that the pods aren't great so won't provide very fast speeds (minimum guaranteed is only 30Mbps).

Ok, thanks, so my numbers would be pretty normal then given that it's different technologies? I have eero 6 routers that I used previously to boost my signal and got 150 meg to my playstation in my front room using those with my hub 4 in modem mode, would you recommend doing something similar even tho the eero 6 is only rated to 600meg. 

I'd spend the time setting the HUB 5 up in modem mode and connecting to the Eero 6 devices you already have.

You may find you get a more stable Wi-Fi connection.

Ok thanks, I'll give that a try.

Thank you for coming back to us on here, how is it working for you now since Tuesday J88rdy? 

Let us know we will do our best to help. 

Ari - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide