Menu
Joining in
Message 1 of 4 (84 Views)

Slow speeds - Intermittent

Hi, can anyone help? I'm paying for 50mb and some of the time I'll get exactly that; but other times I'm lucky to get over 3mb. I appreciate the network gets busy but it's nearly midnight and I can't even stream iplayer?! Never had this problem in my old area, now I'm in Orpington it's awful. Not to mention Virgin are the only supplier in my area!

Anything I can do to improve this?
0 Kudos
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 4 (78 Views)

Re: Slow speeds - Intermittent

If you are in AREA30 expect this to be an ongoing issue. I have had it for over a year.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Message 3 of 4 (72 Views)

VM areas are billing areas and are mainly based on old franchises and can cover huge noncontiguous areas, so they mean nothing as far as faults go. The first part of the postcode is far better determining problem areas. Area 30 is North Midlands and Teeside IIRC.

The best way to test if you are in an overutilised area, is to test the speed whilst connected directly to the hub by ethernet cable. testing during the day and again during peak evening periods. If you are getting headline wired speeds during the day and poor speeds during the evening, then it looks like a contention issue.

Forum Team
Message 4 of 4 (20 Views)

Afternoon Jmk8246,

Welcome to the community. It's nice to have you here.

My apologies you are experiencing slow broadband speeds.

I would like to check your connection for any issues, however I was unable to locate your account. If you can send me a Private Message confirming your name and address, that would be great.

In the meantime, are you able to complete speed tests through a wired connection at different times of the day as griffin mentioned?

Hope to hear from you soon

Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos