Menu
ajm1968uk
Just joined
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Slow Broadband in NN1 4NN Northampton

Hi - should be getting 20Mbps download but having done several ping tests I'm only getting less than 2Mbps.

Only time I've hit 20Mbps so far was 07.30am.

Supposedly no service issues but having viewed all other threads it appears to be a common theme.

Disappointing that there doesn't seem to be an actual end result in sight.

Anyone having same issues?

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Adam_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Slow Broadband in NN1 4NN Northampton

Hi ajm1968uk, 

Thanks for posting to make us aware of your issues with slow broadband speeds, I apologise for any inconvenience caused. I will do my very best to help get this sorted for you.

I have tested things from here and I can see that there are 2 issues affecting your connection. The first issue is that all of your downstream power levels are too low across all the downstream channels and there's also quite a few time outs inside the Hubs logs.

An engineer will need to attend in order to resolve this for you, I will send you a PM (Purple envelope at the top) detailing what's required to proceed with making the booking. Please respond to me there and I'll get this all sorted for you.

The second issue affecting your connection is that your area cable seems to be suffering some load issues, especially during the peak times. We're planning to undertake some upgrades to parts of our external network in your area in order to combat this.

The upgrades will be to improve bandwidth and performance during the peak hours. The reference number for this is F004272896 and is currently scheduled to be reviewed around the middle of December. Thanks for your patience regarding this matter, one of my colleagues will be in touch with some more information.

Take care, 

Thanks, 

Adam.

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
mikeyk79
Joining in
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Slow Broadband in NN1 4NN Northampton

Hello,

I am based in NN1 4JE and I experienced the same problems back in October last year when I joined Virgin Media. From the start I never got the speeds I was paying for. I went for the 100mb service and was lucky to see anything over 2mb with constant buffering issues. After contacting Virgin on numerous occasions and a number of engineers coming out to my property, they let slip that there has been as issue in the area since 2013 and is yet to be resolved.

After they told me this, they allowed me to leave with no penalty and to just return their equipment. Luckily BT had just installed Fibre in the area and although I went for the basic package of 38mb (now increased to 50mb), this is plenty enough and not once have I experienced any buffering issues, even when streaming 4K content.

I was maybe hoping Virgin had finally fixed the problem in the area but reading yours and others blogs in this community, it looks as though Virgin has not bothered to resolve the issue but instead continue to allow people to sign up unaware of the issues they will experience.

I will say this though, their customer service was great each and every time I spoke to them.

Mike

0 Kudos