Menu
Joining in
Message 1 of 4 (92 Views)

Really slow broadband in Bromley

Been with VM for about 7 years now.

The broadband was fine in my old house, but ever since I've moved to Bromley 18 months ago it has gotten progressively worse.

I constantly have to keep restarting the router and I rarely get speeds of over 3mb. Online gaming appears to only be possible during the day or in the early hours. No chance in the evening.

For what I pay each month I expect a much better service than this.
0 Kudos
Dialled in
Message 2 of 4 (71 Views)

Re: Really slow broadband in Bromley

Hey bigamzz

There could be two causes for this, one, the router you have could be on it's way out (I don't know how long you've had it, but routers will die after so long, and would need to be replaced) or, more likely the following issue.

This sounds like an unfortunate case of High utilisation in the area. The best way of explaining this, is that the network can support 'x' number of users, and there are more than 'x' currently using it, so the network can't handle the usage.

High utilisation is extremely complicated, in that it takes a long time to upgrade the network in the areas, as our networks (if you've seen a local exchange, you know what I'm talking about) are very complicated, and isn't unfortunately a case of just swapping a couple of cables.

If you're looking on the Service Status page on my.virginmedia.com, does this give any outage information? Would be worth posting the fault reference if so, so that the forum teams can investigate it quicker for you.

If this is High utilisation then you would be entitled to a month by month credit whilst the issue is ongoing. You can discuss this with the technical teams, by calling 0345 454 1111 or 150 from a virgin media landline.

Let us know whether this is a fault viewable on service status, and the forum teams may be able to give you a bit more info to possibly help (however, if it is utilisation, there isn't an awful lot that can be done unfortunately).
Dan
Views expressed are solely my own, and do not reflect on Virgin Media directly
If however you feel that my answer is helpful or informative, please click the kudos button below!
0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 3 of 4 (61 Views)

Hi bigamzz, 

Thanks for the post! I am sorry to hear about your issues with your connection being slow, I apologise for any inconvenience caused.

I have tested things from this side and I can see that your upstream power levels are too high, an engineer will be required to attend in order to resolve this for you.

I will send you a PM (purple envelope at the top) detailing what's required in order to proceed with making the booking. Please respond to me there and I'll get this sorted for you.

Take care, 

Thanks, 

Adam.

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
Tuning in
Message 4 of 4 (44 Views)

Well, I have just had the engineer visit, well two engineers over two days in fact, an attenuator fitted to correct levels and guess what, peak times now at around 20:25 are 0.48mbps... I'd be better off on dial-up!!!

Even before the attenuator was fitted I could get my contracted 50Mbps at 4am, but peak times... forget it

What can I do - VM have oversold the capacity and cannot deliver the service - Maybe I should say that I've overspent my bank account and can't pay!!!

It is a shabby service that Virgin Media are offering the Bromley area at the moment - Buyers beware

0 Kudos