Menu
Squawking44
Joining in
Message 1 of 2
Flag for a moderator

Poor speeds

Hi

I live Halesowen in the West Midlands postcode B63 and my download speeds are a joke, I'm paying for over 100mps and some evenings I'm lucky if I get 30, fed up of being fobbed off with 'fault in your area' rubbish, I've been with virgin for over 10 years and pay over £60 a month for the privilege but just lately it's getting worse. Seriously considering a try with another supplier. I have the WiFi running from the hub and was thinking of buying a separate modem ( a good one ) and just putting the virgin one into modem mode, anyone recommend anything ?

Mark
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 2
Flag for a moderator

Re: Poor speeds

It depends what your problem is.

I would test the internet speed by connecting a device directly to the hub by ethernet cable. I would test in the morning and again in the evening. Wireless is just too unreliable to test the speeds accurately.

If you are experiencing headline wired speeds during the day and slow wired speeds during the evening peak, then it looks like you have a contention issue that no new router is going to fix. These problems usually take a long time to get resolved.

If you are getting poor wired speeds all the time, then it looks like a technical fault. If this is the case then posting your hub's power levels and network logs would help. Again a new router will not solve these types of problems.

If the wired speed is fine all the time, then it looks like a wireless problem.

Wireless reception is affected by many factors like Range, Client hardware, the Topograpy of your home, and the big killer, Wireless interference.It might be worth trying to optimise your wireless signal.

First of all, I would ensure the Hub is placed in a central, open position, away from obstacles and electrical devices.

You could try changing the wireless channel manually. Downloading a wireless scanner like InSSIDer for Windows or WiFiAnalyser for Android would help by showing you the surrounding wireless networks, the channels they are broadcasting on, and their signal strengths, so you can select the best wireless channel.
Bear in mind that the wifi scanner will not show interference from other sources of wireless interference such as A\V streaming devices, Baby monitors, Chordless phones, Microwave ovens, Plasma TVs, Security systems, etc.

Setting the Hub's radio setting to 300Mbps (or 40Mhz channel) is not advised on the 2.4GHz band as it takes up over half of the available spectrum, making it prone to wireless interference..

Using the wider, usually less congested 5Ghz band could help, if your client devices support it.

The Hub's are basic entry level devices and a decent third party router will give you a better overal wireless coverage which should allieviate wireless problems somewhat, but might not completely cure them depending on your wireless envoironment.

0 Kudos