Menu
ohit1
Joining in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

P2P/BitTorrent on Vivid 300/350

Even though it has been said that Traffic Management does not apply to Vivid 300 etc. - BitTorrent P2P traffic is definitely filtered/blocked

It is extremely slow and I know the legal torrents I'm attempting are fine/available: I have 2 Internet connections and the downloads fly over the other non-VM connection

I am not happy about this

0 Kudos
Bestie
Fibre optic
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: P2P/BitTorrent on Vivid 300/350

You should be using a VPN when using torrents legal or not you are being snooped on.

But I agree it shouldn't happen & VM used to throttle Usenet when I would use it.

0 Kudos
moof
Superfast
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

may I ask how you know/symptoms that show they are filtered/blocked?

My reason for asking is that I've been experiencing strange timeouts and failures to connect to websites that work fine the moment I bring up a VPN.

I like you, feel that something is being blocked/filtered up stream

It all started about 2-3weeks ago, when I suddenly started seeing SSL PROTOCOL ERRORS,
DNS ERRORS, timeouts... or weird web site loops (returning to a page previously clicked).
0 Kudos
ohit1
Joining in
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I have 2 Internet connections and the downloads fly over the other non-VM connection
0 Kudos
moof
Superfast
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

...but can't the same be said of your VM circuit? (when its working 100%)

Obviously avoiding the obvious, but when doing large downloads of permitted files

you said "traffic is definitely filtered/blocked", I wondered what tests or examples you had of why the VM service is definitely filtered/blocked compared to your other 2
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

There are two different things here:

Traffic Management is specifically about your own individual usage i.e. what you upload and download. This doesn't exist on VIVID 200 Gamer, VIVID 300. I don't believe it exists on VIVID 350 either.

P2P and Newsgroups - there is network level management of this. This applies to all Virgin Media broadband customers and isn't specific to individual usage.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos
jhuk
Knows their stuff
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

OP should have read up before ordering as all Tiers have and still do have additional P2P at peak times even if they have no STM on those Tiers.

IBK error...

0 Kudos
ohit1
Joining in
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thanks

Where is the policy/information on Virgin Media's web site about P2P management across all packages?

I'll now setup a bunch of VPN connections over the VM line and load balance the P2P across those.

Any particular best destination port numbers to use?

0 Kudos
jhuk
Knows their stuff
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

SSL 443 for News-servers.

Bit-torrent I used to forward a few ports and add to my Firewall but now leave it auto (this can effect your Upload speed rarely your download).

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

ohit1 wrote:

Thanks

Where is the policy/information on Virgin Media's web site about P2P management across all packages?

Here:

https://my.virginmedia.com/traffic-management/traffic-management-policy-30Mb-or-higher.html

Obviously the upstream traffic management info isn't applied to those tiers without upstream management, but the rest of the page information is still valid.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos