Menu
ipson
Tuning in
Message 1 of 18
Flag for a moderator

IPSec traffic shaping on Hitron modems

Dear Support team of Virgin Media Business.

After extensive research and countless hours we have arrived to the conclusion that your new router "Hitron" applies some form of QoS , traffic shaping , bandwidth throttling to IPsec traffic.

Can you advise if that is the case and how can I disable it or request the limit change before I supply you with all the research results highlighting your router? 

Look forward to hear from you,

IPSon

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 18
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: IPSec traffic shaping on Hitron modems

Dear Ipson

These are the support forums for residential customers.  Whilst we can highlight your thread for feedback to the appropriate team, you would be better talking to them on the dedicated support line for business. A few of the peeps on here have had dealings with the Hitron router so may be along in a bit to add their 2 cents. But remember you haven't actually complained about your issue without going through the appropriate channels- not a dig at you, just pointing out as I assume you want some action under your SLA

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 18
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Dear Ipson

These are the support forums for residential customers.  Whilst we can highlight your thread for feedback to the appropriate team, you would be better talking to them on the dedicated support line for business. A few of the peeps on here have had dealings with the Hitron router so may be along in a bit to add their 2 cents. But remember you haven't actually complained about your issue without going through the appropriate channels- not a dig at you, just pointing out as I assume you want some action under your SLA

ipson
Tuning in
Message 3 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Dear Virgin Media Customers,

please be advised that Hitron Modems while working in bridge mode do not process IPSec traffic properly.

It is a known bug and it has been already submitted to the producer of firmware to resolve.

VirginMedia support may not be aware of this.

I have been made aware today that another renown IT Service provider had this very same issue. 

Virgin Media Business should notify it's customers about this and let us know when the matter is resolved by the team in Amsterdam.

0 Kudos
jtonthebike
Tuning in
Message 4 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Out of curiosity, why would you use the VM for routing duties?

Most companies I have worked with have installed their own router, using just the VM hub to tick along in Modem mode, negating not only the budget hardware but the routing policies embedded in the device too.

If you wish to improve your connection speed and do away with the standard hub and it's mass of limitations (given your knowledge of networking, I would assume there are features/functionality which is lacking in the VM hub), I can't recommend pfsense highly enough. Super stable, reliable and a damned site faster than the VM box.

0 Kudos
AJSG1969
Tuning in
Message 5 of 18
Flag for a moderator

I spent a lot of money on IT Support trying to figure this out only a few months ago. I would appreciate if you could send me some logs of those conversations because if they knew about this issue and effectively lied to their customers I have recourse to claim the few thousand pounds spent to discover that VPNs don't really work with this line.

I have a CCR1036 at work and two CCR1016s at two separate sites, after 3 weeks of work we ended up having to use a PPTP connection limited to 20mb. The Virgin line is the only one that gives problems, the other site uses Cosmote in Greece (to London) and we can use up to 80% of available speed to connect to London. The Virgin (London) site to Colt work (London) will not manage more than 15-20% without massive packet loss.

CPU usage on the CCRs never exceeds 18%.

0 Kudos
ipson
Tuning in
Message 6 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Hi,
We would need to correlate the timings .
Business Support of Virgin media didn't know about the problem until I forwarded them my findings.
I was very pleased with the fact that they at least acknowledged it .
Later on when I was connecting another customer to ther network I explicitly asked for Cisco modem and when the agent asked me why I mentioned the bug.
The engineer who was different to the one i originally dealt with knew about that particular bug .

When you say couple months ago then do you mean 2 months or even exactly ?

This issue isn't easy to find and even when you experience it , the modem of their is pretty much a thing you don't look at as it is bridged so it suppose to have no intelligence and simply pass traffic to your edge device .

I found this bug because we simply had a fully functioning site and 2 non functioning on the same hardware and same configuration and same provider.

The difference was only Hitron modem so once we put the Hitron modem to the other site we ended up with two sites broken Smiley Happy

If you send me your timing , when your troubles began and when did you report it to Virgin. I'll be able to tell you if it was before or after of my reports to them
0 Kudos
AJSG1969
Tuning in
Message 7 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Last communication was 5th July 2016, Virgin Media Fault: F004446559, fellow call Ben Davies. Fault discussions started in April 2016.

This is one of the simple tests that I gave them to show them the issue with PPTP, they tried to send us into a MTU merrygoround which lasted over a month. Then no further responses. We also had to remove the static IP.

Site1 no PPTP to Site 2

211.05 Down

14.23 Up

Site 1 to Site 2 PPTP Enabled

17.80 Down

13.54 Up

0 Kudos
ipson
Tuning in
Message 8 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Thats early. They would not have a clue.
The engineer of mine was good, he actually have gone and reproduced the problem. They acknowledged it probably based on that test. I ll check his name and email him about the update on that bug too.
Sorry to hear about your troubles. Indeed it costed us time and money too but yours trouble started much earlier. I'm inclined to believe they did not know.
0 Kudos
ipson
Tuning in
Message 9 of 18
Flag for a moderator

And you screwed the coaxial cable into your pfsense...
0 Kudos
AJSG1969
Tuning in
Message 10 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Hmmm...I am very surprised I had two further issues, 4878250 and 4910905, the last of which is still open. They have never acknowledged an issue with the Static IP nor the VPN throttling.

Personally I find it infuriating that one cannot use one's own hardware.

0 Kudos