Menu
Ollieland
Joining in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Erratic speeds. Slow.

The past few months I have been getting terribly Erratic speeds..

Initially it was at peak times, It is now all day, I pay for VIVE 200mbps, I get 40 on a good day for an hour then it drops as low as 1 or 2 mbps, I pay for this package as I game, but I am honestly considering switching provider due to this.

I have had multiple engineers out in the past and the issue is still not resolved. There is no service fault in my area.

Not good.

0 Kudos
greeniegirl
Fibre optic
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Erratic speeds. Slow.

Hello

Speed issues can be very frustrating especially if you have an intermittent fault

When you are running the speed test (speed test.net website)  are you using a console to run the test? if so these will run through the gaming server

Best method is to ensure you have an ethernet connection to a laptop/pc without Skype or any downloading going on in the background (also make sure non of the other devices like phones or tablets is downloading when you run the tests just so you get a true reflection of the speed you are getting.

If you are running the tests on wifi, there is so much interference and so much equipment that runs on wifi these days so the results will fluxuate, have you logged into your router and tried different channels? different frequencies?  2.4ghz is best for range 5ghz is a faster speed but like any wifi you can pick up interferance.  There is videos on you tube of how to change your wifi channels within your hub.

If all your testing is purely done on an ethernet connected to a laptop/pc and your getting these poor speeds with nothing else downloading onto your equipment then I would ring 151 when this fault occurs and I would recommend not rebooting your router before you call in, just so that a live feed can be seen of your router.

Hope this helps

I am a virginmedia employee but all opinions are my own.
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Erratic speeds. Slow.

Evening Ollieland,

Thanks for posting on the community. It's nice to have you here.

My apologies you are experiencing slow broadband speeds.

I've taken a look into this and your downstream power levels are showing as too low at - 12 dBmV. I appreciate you have had engineer visits to check this over, however we would need to arrange another to get these adjusted. I've sent you a PM (purple envelope icon, right corner) with some details for you to confirm please.

Hope to hear from you soon

Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos