Menu
PeterGammon
Joining in
Message 1 of 2
Flag for a moderator

Download speed tanks after 10-11pm so i cant watch youtube in more than 144p

Hi, I'm wondering if anyone can explain why this is happening.

Over the past month I've noticed that after 10:30PM that my Youtube videos on my laptop and my Steam downloads on my main rig just tank out. I thought it was just a short term issue that would get sorted but I cant watch videos without minutes of buffering in anything more than 144p maybe 360p. And download speeds of 200kbs-300kbs on Steam when im on VIVD 200 package?

This is happening on both 2G and 5G frequencies of wireless as well. 

I'm just very frustrated at this point because the house is paying for an package that should not at any point struggle to load a 15min vid on Youtube.

Any help or info will be greatly appreciated

Thanks,

Peter 

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 2
Flag for a moderator

Re: Download speed tanks after 10-11pm so i cant watch youtube in more than 144p

Hi Peter

Have you tried a test with a wired Ethernet connection at this time of the evening?  Just trying to rule out wireless interference.

Slow speeds at peak times (typically 4pm-11pm weekdays and weekends) but full speed at off peak times is normally a symptom of high utilisation/contention in your area.  But if your segment of the network was suffering with this I would expect you to see a difference before 10:30pm as that is towards the end of the peak period.

Might be worth posting some hub stats, just to see if everything is looking OK.  If you go to http://192.168.0.1/ (or http://192.168.100.1/ if you are in modem mode) to get the VM hub GUI. Don't login but instead click on Router Status which is either a button in the top right of the screen or a text link at the bottom of the screen depending on which hub you have. Click on the Downstream, Upstream and Network Log sections and copy & paste the figures from those screens and post them here, don't worry about the formatting or you can post screenshots if that is easier. Be careful to edit out or obscure any reference to your WAN IP in the log to protect your privacy.

The community can have a look for you and see if anything in the figures looks wrong and advise accordingly. Or you can wait for the VM staff to pick up this thread (can take 7-10 days) and run checks on your line.

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong Smiley Happy If my answer solves your problem please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Superhub 2 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

0 Kudos