Menu
Georgenberg
Joining in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Awful speeds on 200Mbps Line

Hi,

Recently moved to Virgin from Sky because of the 200Mbps broadband and I have to say it's absolutely awful. Was activated on Tuesday and I regular see download speeds of <10Mbps which quite frankly is shocking. Ran some further tests this morning and it was slightly better with the occasional peak at 50Mbps but still not the 200Mbps I'm paying for. Realistically I'm not expecting 200 consistently but this is not great at all. I've looked at the diagnostics which is shown below however I'm not sure what's good/bad. The Virgin cabinet is opposite my house so <20m. 

Any ideas?

virgin.jpg

0 Kudos
greyman
Superfast
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Awful speeds on 200Mbps Line

What is shocking is that the fact that VM gave no indication of the overutilisation issues they appear to be facing all over the country and the totally predictable impact that would have on your broadband speeds, at the point of sale.  If you have a read of the Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations 2008, you will see that they are clearly in breach of the law.  Furthermore, they are also voluntary signatories to a code of practice that, in theory, commits them to making potential customers aware of likely performance.

For an analogy, imagine a company that sells you a ticket for a seat at a concert and when you get there, you find that you will be sharing said seat with 2-3 other people.

In short, they are behaving in an unethical, dishonest and money-grabbing manner.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Awful speeds on 200Mbps Line

Hi there Georgenberg,

Thanks for posting and welcome to the community.

I'm sorry to read that you are having issues with your broadband speeds.

I know how frustrating this can be and would like to help further, however I was unable to locate your account. I've sent you a PM (purple envelope icon, right corner) with some details for you to confirm please. Once you have replied I can check this for you.

Hope to hear from you soon

Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos