Menu
colinfriend
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

telephone call from BT

I have just this  minute   received  a call on my land line   from  an Asian sounding  man  purporting to be  from BT   regarding my    problematic internet   connection,   I told him I was with Virgin   he said  it doesn't    matter   every thing goes through BT,    he wanted  me to  sit at my computer  while he talked me through  things,  I declined  and told him  I  had no proof  of who he was,  he said he would  explain  once I was at my computer,   I declined  again  and told him I would contact  Virgin,  I have  always been wary of these   sort of calls   especially as the  callers number was withheld  

0 Kudos
DavidJWalker
Rising star
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: telephone call from BT

bt never withheld there numbers that was a scam to get you to download something i would i hung up or muted the call he would not ring back haha or i would say something saying virgin media does not go though bt network and swear at him and hang up it will stop them calling that number

Using VIVID 350 Optical Fibre, Player TV, Talk Weekends

Just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong.
If you do like my answer please mark it as helpful; it may help others
Tudor
Well-informed
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

I have developed a sure fire way of dealing with "withheld" telephone numbers.

Just answer the phone, but say nothing at all. I know the natural inclination is to say "hello", but just say nothing. 99% of the time the call is just dropped by the caller. One of the reasons for this is that "carousel" dialling systems will only connect their call when a sound is detected at the other end. By saying nothing the automatic system just hangs up.

There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't
jamesofmerton
Rising star
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

yes it is a scam. they will ask for remote control of your pc, then make up issues by getting up event viewer and pointing out standard normal pc errors then say you have a virus then want hundreds of pounds to get it fixed. i know their patter and methods very well.
0 Kudos