cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Location name is not where I am now, why is this?

Ukbee
Joining in

When we search for our IP address or when shopping on Amazon often our Physical location is completely different from the location that is suggested that we are at. Why is this?

3 REPLIES 3

Cardiffman282
Knows their stuff

Are you using a VPN?

Also see https://www.iplocation.net/geolocation-accuracy

I'm not a Very Insightful Person (just a little bit, sometimes). I don't work for Virgin Media (but then nor do any of the offshore customer service agents).

Roger_Gooner
Alessandro Volta

The location associated with an IP address is determined through a process called IP geolocation, but it isn't always accurate for a variety of reasons. Some other reasons include:

• Disabling location services or using a browser with privacy features may cause the website to not accurately determine your location.
  • Content and services hosted on cloud platforms or distributed through content delivery networks (CDNs) may have servers located in different regions, and when you access such services your IP address may be associated with the server's location.
--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

Cardiffman282
Knows their stuff

I'm not a Very Insightful Person (just a little bit, sometimes). I don't work for Virgin Media (but then nor do any of the offshore customer service agents).