cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SuperHub 5 - Modem Only Mode (pfSense)

tepark
On our wavelength

Hi Guys,

I am curious to know what everyone else's experience is like with the SuperHub 5 and Modem only Mode. 

I have recently upgraded to 1GB internet connection and would like to use the SuperHub in Modem only mode as I have a pfSense Firewall which I would prefer to use. I ran a test the over the weekend and Switched my SuperHub into Modem only mode but found that no IP was being assigned to my router (no other connection to the SuperHub just the pfSense router). After a while something strange started happening; A public IP was assigned to my pfSense router but then after about 3 seconds it was dropped again. After around 10 seconds the same public IP was assigned again. This continued to happen repeatedly.

I then tried to go to 192.168.100.1 to change the setting back to router mode but no matter how my pfSense box was configured I couldn't access the IP. I tried to assign a static IP of 192.168.100.2 and an Alias of the same (not at the same time). I then decided as another test I would attach my laptop via Ethernet (for Virgin Media staff that might read this attaching via Wifi wont work in this configuration) but no Public IP was assigned. Again this was attached via the 2.5gb port, for complete confidence in my own testing I tested this on all the ports just to be sure. I again tried to access the Routers interface to try and change back to router mode but couldn't. 

The only solution I had was to factory Reset the Router via the Reset button. Has anyone else run into any issues similar to this and if so how did you resolve them? This is strange that the pfsense box doesn't seam to hold a public IP (works fine when the SuperHub5 is in Router Mode) and also that when a Laptop is connected it doesn't even assign it a public IP (again works fine when in Router Mode).

Regards,

Tom

5 REPLIES 5

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I use a Hub 5 in modem mode so it does work.  Make sure you power off the Hub before trying to connect it. Once powered off set your Router to DHCP and only then power on the Hub in modem mode. 
You could also try a 60 second pinhole reset on the Hub just to reset everything back to factory settings.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

tepark
On our wavelength

Hhmm thats interesting as that is what i have already tried. I had to do the pin hole reset to get back into the Hub5.

I might try a second reset and then try again but ive done the same steps several times. 

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Strange but yes, try again.  I've always used every Hub I've had in modem mode without issues. I currently use a Draytek router, so can't help with pfSense. 

Just be aware, when in modem mode, the Hub is just bridging to the VM CMTS for a WAN IP.  There is a time delay between swapping MAC addresses, so don't swap things around without powering off the Hub and waiting for several minutes.  This will allow the CMTS to drop the MAC/WAN IP that it has stored.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

You should try getting a IP by PC/laptop when in modem mode then change your pfSense WAN MAC to it

---------------------------------------------------------------

WitchDoctor1966
Joining in

Hi.  OK.  I am not super technical but I always used my SuperHub 5 in modem mode with an Asus RT-AC5300 (was very reliable) but as soon as I took the "free" speed improvement that was offered a couple of months ago this set-up stopped working.  No amount of re-booting / resetting etc has got it to work.  The router is in a box now and I have lost the will to live over it but it didn't seem to be able to connect through to the  "ISP"