cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router options

lexed
Joining in

Wonder if anyone has any recs… recently upgraded to the hub 5 1 gig speed. Plugged in the new router and ran a speed test next to the router which was running pretty fast (over 750 mbps) although the coverage was terrible. WiFi would drop out even just one room away from the router. This forced me to put it into modern mode and plug in the old Deco P9 system that I’d been using with the hub 3 router. The coverage is 10x better round the house, however I am now only getting download speeds of around 100-200 mbps. Any recommendations, is the currently mesh system just not able to run much faster? What routers are available and do people use?

2 REPLIES 2

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

You'd need to look at the specs of the Deco system and your remote devices to see what's achievable with them.

It's always possible to get higher speeds, but how much would you be willing to spend to achieve them? 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

IIRC the P9's use the "powerline" process to connect.  If yours is connected in that way it will be limiting your speeds.  My lad is a serious internet gamer and he uses a pair of Solwise AC1200 powerline adapters. His PC/Xbox/PS3 are now all be "wired" - with short Cat6 cables –  directly back to the wireless router downstairs and he gets a solid 60-100 Mbps on our 350 package - so speed is very attenuated when the ring main is involved.

Can you connect without using the mains cable - just to compare speeds?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.