cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New "digital" line issues

CrapbandUser
Tuning in

I'll start with apologies if this isn't the correct "board".

Recently had the phone line upgraded to digital, (connects directly into the hub now), at VM request, not instigated by me. Had to have the house alarm upgraded which we weren't made aware of, but that's not why I'm posting this.

The engineer had to move the old router as it wasn't near the phone line coming into the house. I asked if he could leave me enough lead so that I could reroute it once he had left, (they like to get in and out ASAP and it's not left in the ideal situation, seeing as how they have many visits to carry out each day), to which he said no problem. The following day, with time in hand, I proceeded to carry out the reroute of the new cable. Removing the power and landline leads was as simple as it should be, but the broadband cable was VERY tight on its threads. This was compouned by the fact that there isn't a "swivel" F type connecter installed and so the entire cable had become a corkscrew in effect. Once the hub and cables were along their desired paths, I pluged the power lead back in along with the landline phone lead and then attempted to refit the broadband cable. This proved impossible. As I attempted to engage the threads, the cable just "knotted up" like a constricting snake, crushing its next meal. I barely got 5 threads on when I gave up and backed it all the way off again, as the cable had started to show signs of stress from the torque it was experiencing. I have had to resort  the just pushing it on as far as the two sets of threads will allow, (without and winding action), but here now lies the problem. I performed a speed check just after the engineer left as my pc was now running over wifi as opposed to hard wired and I was seeing 290+ Mbs down and over 50mbs up, which is as it was before, so all good. After the reroute though, (as I type this), I'm seeing 8.51Mbs down and 15.61 Mbs up, (it has been as low as 2 Mbs up). I've seen Virgin/Sky F type "push on" adapters for sale, that screw into the broadband cable and then just slide all the way over the hub connector, (thus avoiding winding the cable to death). I don't see why I should pay almost £10 to have one tiny adapter sent to me to sort out a problem inherited from VM.

So what do we do from here? I'm seeing approximately 1/33rd of my download speed and it looks like the cable could fail very easily in the near future.

7 REPLIES 7

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I cannot answer all your problem, but the new cables supplied by VM are usually ‘push fit’ not threaded. If it is a threaded plug the way to avoid what you are describing is to hold the cable firmly and rotate the hub itself, this way the cable is not turned.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Seems strange, in all the VM screw on connectors I've seen, they always had a swivel end.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

That's how I tried to thread it on. Failed.

Perhaps you could post a picture of the connector, but from previous posts on this forum it's been said that VM are now using push-on F-connectors rather than screw-on ones. So that would explain why the cable is twisting when you try and screw it on, as it's not a screw-on plug.

As you're already aware, screw-on F-connectors have a rotating end, so it's either push-on or it's broken.

I used to use push-on F-connector adaptors, which screw on the end of an F plug, and then allow it to simply push on - this was for satellite receiver repair and testing.

Here's a Virgin extension lead with push-on adaptors:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/1STec-F-connector-Isolator-Extension-Broadband-White/dp/B08L1XGHYL/ref=sr_1...

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Certainly looks like a sub net mask problem. It’s very rare for anybody in a home environment to need to use as mask other than 255.255.255.0

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

Subnet is set as 255.255.255.0, so it isn;t that.

CrapbandUser
Tuning in

It seems that the issue isn't the physical connector. Just run a speed test on the downstairs wifi and I'm seeing 250+ Mbs. Upstairs though is the issue.When I first turned the pc on, it was reading less than 3 Mbs down. I have removed the brand new TP Link AC1300 Mini Wireless adapter, put it into another unused USB 3.0 port and now it's seeing 19 Mbs, still not the near 300 Mbs I should see.

I'm on the M500 package. The engineer that came to install the hub in its new location said if there are issue with speed, you can get wifi pods. Do you have to call VM to get these or do you instigate the process on here? if so, what section do I post in?