Menu
opalfruit
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Moving superhub to another room

Hi all, just a quick question

I have a superhub 3 in one bedroom and a VHD box in another, I want to switch these around however the superhub 3 is running though a old telewest box with a 6 decibel wideband attenuator connected. my question is  would I need to connect this attenuator to the wall box in the other room when I make the switch? 

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Moving superhub to another room

opalfruit wrote:

I have a superhub 3 in one bedroom and a VHD box in another, I want to switch these around however the superhub 3 is running though a old telewest box with a 6 decibel wideband attenuator connected. my question is  would I need to connect this attenuator to the wall box in the other room when I make the switch? 

maybe - before you start log into hub and note the upstream and downstream levels - downstream should be between -6 / +10 - upstream wants to be below 50

dont know anything about the V box but assume thats similar

the attenuator is there to lower the downstream levels

so assuming they are correct now change the units over and look at levels again - you can add the attenuator or not at this stage - if the levels are in limits with or without the attenuator then all should be ok

Tony
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi opalfruit,

A warm welcome to you!

Great to see the Community pitch in to help you out with this!

I've checked out your Superhub on this end and all the signal levels are looking good.

Keep and eye on it and pop back to us if you need anything else.

All the best Smiley Very Happy

Josh

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

All Replies
harpss1ngh
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

The only way for you to be certain is to use a signal meter or simply test it. 6db attenuation is quite a drop which suggests the connection in the cab needs to be put on a lower power as the power in your feed is too strong. Virgin media normally upgrade the boxes to the new ones when you get the installation, at least they did with mine.

I have an inline one too but I just took it off as it didn't make any difference. So just try it!

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

opalfruit wrote:

maybe - before you start log into hub and note the upstream and downstream levels - downstream should be between -6 / +10 - upstream wants to be below 50

dont know anything about the V box but assume thats similar

the attenuator is there to lower the downstream levels

so assuming they are correct now change the units over and look at levels again - you can add the attenuator or not at this stage - if the levels are in limits with or without the attenuator then all should be ok

Tony
opalfruit
Joining in
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

In the new room without the attenuator downstream is showing as between -5 and -6 upstream is showing at 48.8. thanks for your reply. 

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

it certainly does not need the attenuator - they are at the low end but if its stable and the speeds are ok then they are fine - if they drop then book a tech to sort it

Tony
0 Kudos
EightBall
Up to speed
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Just incase you're interested, a wideband attenuator will also affect the upstream levels. 

e.g. a 6db wideband attenuator will bring an upstream level of 30 to 36db.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi opalfruit,

A warm welcome to you!

Great to see the Community pitch in to help you out with this!

I've checked out your Superhub on this end and all the signal levels are looking good.

Keep and eye on it and pop back to us if you need anything else.

All the best Smiley Very Happy

Josh

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out