cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installation problems

Mick0957
Joining in

O have just had the 1g, 5x hub installed. The engineer pushed the fibre cable through the wall and there is a small white wire which has a push connector which plugs into the hub. My issue is the small wire is attached to the fibre and held there with some black insulating tape. Is the the usual way it is left?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

carl_pearce
Community elder

Post a picture of what you have.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

13 REPLIES 13

carl_pearce
Community elder

Post a picture of what you have.

IMG_20231105_184040.jpg

Thanks Carl. Picture posted now

Jonny-M
Fibre optic

That looks like an inside-out cable that has a ripcord to remove the black insulation which is supposed to only be outside. My understanding of the VM PON installs is that they are meant to terminate in a socket indoors and then connect the Hub with a patch cable. In any case that is a poor quality installation and will need to be redone.

Gareth_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hello Mick0957.

Thanks for your first post and welcome to our Community.
Sorry to see the poor installation. This definitely is not right at all.
I'd like to take a look into this for you and arrange a revisit to rectify the installation.
If you don't mind, I will need to send you a private message to pass security. 
If you can check the Logo top right of your screen that would be great. 
Regards     
Gareth_L

Thanks for those details Mick0957.

Can you please update this thread once the engineer has been out.

It will be good to know everything has been installed correctly.

Gareth_L

I'll add another photo after he's been.       Would the way it's been installed affect the wif I speed as I'm about 7 feet from the hub and the download speed can be anywhere from 40 to 270 Mb. It seems an awfully big loss for the distance I am from the hub.

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

WiFi speeds depend very much on what device you are using and the WiFi band it's connecting to.  You'll need a wired ethernet connection to see if you are getting the correct broadband speed you are paying for. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

Hello Mick0957.

Sorry to hear about the intermittent WIFI speeds.

Would it be possible tp mention this to the engineer that is attending for the re wire.

Gareth_L