Menu
HaydenW97
Tuning in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Installation/construction nightmare

Would like to know if anyone else has had a similar experience to the one i currently find myself in.

In January 2016 we received news of Virgin medias new Fibre packages being available in our area, this was great news, as we have been waiting to upgrade from our current Broadband that provides on average 0.5Mbps Download and even more abysmal upload. 

We signed the contract and an installation date was set. This is when the 7 months of problems began.

Initially we had a date set for the end of January or February. The installation date came and no one showed up or let us know of the situation. We chased up the installation to be told that construction work needed to take place and would happen soon - a new date being provided also. 

We were advised by the installation team to prepare the drive for a cable to be laid to the house. We dug up the driveway and ducting was inserted and concreted over. Ready for the installation. 

The second date came around and yet again no installation happened. Many more attempts at chasing the installation took place with many people fobbing us off with misleading information and excuses. During this time we also ended our previous package with Virgin Media as we were being led to believe we would have new "Super fast Broadband" shortly. 

A new date was set yet again, with nothing happening for a third time. This is when someone finally visited the premises and realised that the road or pavement would have to be dug up and a T-box installed at the end of our driveway.

A date was set for the installation of the box and spray painted lines appeared at the end of our driveway. This gave us hope after the previous experiences as we thought some work may actually take place. 

Frustratingly the spray paint was the only work to take place. No construction team showed up and therefore we chased the query in vain again. We were then told that Council permission was needed for the work to take place, something you'd think that Virgin Media would have handled before even giving an installation date. It was around this point we made a complaint that was left unheard until receiving a letter stating that they hadn't handled our complaint in the set timescales. Opening us to the possibility of escalating the complaint further to the regulator CISAS.

However, we still had hope and never took it this far. After recent events i am currently drafting this complaint to the regulator.

Finally, over seven months later after hours of phone calls and chasing. We got a date for construction to take place along with a permit of 3 days - starting the 8th July 2016.

It is now the 11th of July and the work still hasn't taken place and the permit is about to expire. Again no word from anyone at Virgin Media i had to chase this myself. I called Saturday the 9th and was told it would happen on Sunday the 10th. Still nothing on the 10th  i called again and was told it would be taking place today. 

I feel i am being mislead and dragged along by customer services and the construction team. If i was told correctly at the beginning of this ordeal i could have returned to my old copper package or switched providers. Not having to deal without a broadband connection for 7 months.

I was on the phone to Virgin Media again today for just short of an hour being bounced between departments. I was told that the construction team has to do as many jobs as possible within the 3 day permit and that is why no work took place. 

Therefore, i am lead to believe that we are being pushed to the bottom of the priority over easier jobs. This is an absurd situation that after seven months of waiting patiently for a permit and work to take place. That it hasn't gone ahead. I am now left in a situation where i will have to wait for another permit and another installation date. Which by previous experience will be at least 6-8 weeks totalling nearly 9 months.

No one i speak to seems to have a clue what is actually going on and asks me to wait to speak to another department or person, it seems that no one is actually bothered by the fact that i have been waiting patiently for 7 months. Contact is terrible and seems to be left to me to find out what is happening. You would imagine that a request that has been waiting for over 7 months would be prioritised to near the top. 

The only choice i am left with is to pursue a complaint with the regulator as this may actually get me the answers i want or prompt someone to take ownership of our situation.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Installation/construction nightmare

Some councils are well known for taking up to 3 months to issue telecoms work permits. Also the current rules mean they do not have to give priority to small  telecoms work projects like they do with other services..

su1718.jpgCable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV6), Talk Anytime Phone, VIVID 350, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos
HaydenW97
Tuning in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hence the frustration. Permission was granted by the council after the long wait. Yet they didn't act upon it.

0 Kudos
HaydenW97
Tuning in
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Update:

Last called VirginMedia on Monday 11th and spoke to the construction team. I was promised by a lady on the phone that she would contact the contractors and call me or leave a voicemail updating me the next day. It is now Thursday the 14th and i have had no word from Virgin and no voicemail. I'd call back and chase it myself, but not since i have checked my phone bill and learnt that the 44 minute call cost me £18.66...

Another great example of Virgin Medias quality customer service and tendency to not deliver on their promises.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi HaydenW97

Welcome to the community and thanks for posting.

I am so sorry for the delay of your installation and not being kept up to date.

I can check your account for more information. I've sent you a PM (purple envelope icon, right corner) with some details for you to confirm please. Once you have replied I will look into this and get back in touch.

Hope to hear from you soon

Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

hkakad
Joining in
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

We are having very similar issues with Virgin - they were very quick to sign us up with lots of promises. I have spent hours on the phone trying to agree an installation date and nobody seems to know what is going on. Quite frankly Virgin are an absolute disaster and completely incompetent. My advice to anyone thinking of switching to Virgin - DON'T DO IT!!!!!!
Stick to Sky or BT
0 Kudos