Menu
jim_59
Joining in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hub 3 startup issue

Its not the worst problem ever, but every time I boot up my pc with the new Superhub 3 connected via ethernet, a window opens with 'connection problem' and the 'click me' red circle in the centre.

I don't have to do anything however as the Hub will connect by itself within a couple of minutes and everything is fine thereafter, I just have to shut the window.

Nuisance value problem really but would appreciate any suggestions on how to resolve this ? (Windows 10)

Jim

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Hub 3 startup issue

Hey jim_59,

That doesn't sound like an issue with the Hub 3.0, there isn't anything on the hub that would prompt a pop-up to appear if there's a connection problem. The hub should remain connected as long as it's powered up, so it wouldn't try to connect when you boot up the PC.

I would recommend running an anti-virus / spyware scan to ensure that the PC hasn't picked up anything that it shouldn't have done.

Kev

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
jim_59
Joining in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the reply Kev.

Maybe I should have said in the initial post that the pop-up is a browser window which shows the address http://192.168.0.1/?tool_troubleshoot

It displays the message "Your unit is updating, please wait for a moment."

It then displays the red button with the "If you click the button above, we will try to fix your problem." dialogue.

By the time this has happened it has connected in the background and if I close the browser, everything is fine.

I can replicate this anytime by switching the Superhub3 off and on again via the switch on the back of it. This is what made me think it's a Hub issue,

Jim

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Kev. I am afraid your not correct here as there is a pop up initiated by the Hub 3.0 if the DOCSIS link is down. 

I can get it up if i remove the coax from the back of my Hub 3.0 to simulate a DOCSIS drop out.

200Mb(SH2 SH2AC Hub 3.0), 2 X V6 TV XL, Phone M. 100Mb Business (Hitron Hub).
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hello Tidus

Thanks for that, are you using Windows 10 as well by the way. It does sound like it may be a windows thing looking for an internet connection and when it doesn't see one while the hub is initialising it tries to be helpful by opening a link to the hub default gateway, maybe a little too helpful. Similar to Windows 7 I guess where the system tray icon would show no internet connection for a while despite being able to browse.

I wonder if it can be disabled?

Nicola

Virgin Media Forum Team
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Windows has been banished from my home. I am a Mac person so it also happens on OSX 10.

200Mb(SH2 SH2AC Hub 3.0), 2 X V6 TV XL, Phone M. 100Mb Business (Hitron Hub).
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi both

Thanks for getting back in touch.

In regards to this issue I will be trying to replicate this my side to see if I get the same issue.

Are you able to send me some screenshots please so I know if we are all getting the same message?

Will get back in touch soon

Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
jim_59
Joining in
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi All,

This is an update from the original post in this thread, I was forced to reset my windows 10 yesterday.

This appears to have completely eradicated the problem above with the connection error screen no longer popping up at startup.

It still takes quite sometime on booting to fully connect to the Hub3 but it gets there after a minute or two.

regards,

Jim

0 Kudos
PaulH2011
Dialled in
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

jim_59 wrote:

It still takes quite sometime on booting to fully connect to the Hub3 but it gets there after a minute or two.

Ditto, takes several minutes every morning now.  But even worse at the moment is the flaky service, it's been going up and down all day, TV channels lost, and this has been happening for a few weeks.

When the network goes I get that tool_troubleshoot screen, but as it looks like those spam sites that try to tell you you are infected and lock your browser screen, I've immediately closed it.  Doesn't say who it's from, if it is Virgin as seems to be the case then it's very bad.

0 Kudos