cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Half year installation delay

mm8
Tuning in

Dear Sir/Madam,

We have been with Virgin Media for over ten years and moved house on the 5th of January. The original installation date was the 6th of January, however, the installation has been delayed repeatedly for over half a year now. There are many important tasks that we need to complete online, which could not be completed due to the abysmal internet we are receiving right now, which has been exceedingly inconvenient to our lives. You have given us a mobile WiFi compensation package, but the connection is unstable and the mobile WiFi is utterly inadequate. We have been attempting to resolve the issue over the phone for the past half year, but all the telephone assistants have failed to solve the problem.

What has happened to cause this inexcusable delay?

Can you actually solve this issue permanently?

Who should I contact to resolve the problem properly? When can you send a team to complete setup instead of meaningless emails?

We would be very pleased if you could get the job done instead of sending postponement emails every three weeks.

4 REPLIES 4

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

See this old thread

The current VM installation process is badly managed when things aren’t straightforward and cable re-pulls are needed. So dont bother chasing it. Just let the installation play out. Do nothing. You will pay nothing (£0) until a VM connection is actually installed and activated. And even from then (if it gets that far) you have 14 days in which to cancel - again with no costs. Or keep it if you like it after those 14 days

In the meantime, can you connect to OR, Sky, BT etc - or to a 4G/5G service - perhaps on a 30-day contract? Three recently had a 30-day 4G unlimited package for ~£20. If so, do it now and just let the VM install run its course. As said, you will pay nothing until VM's service is installed and operational. When it finally happens, you have 14 days in which to cancel it at no cost to yourself and keep the other service. Or, if VM is working to your satisfaction, keep it and cancel the other service (hence better if you took a 30-day contract).

And you should receive monetary compensation for each days delay - see below
———————

FYI - Re. VM’s recent installation issues - see John’s excellent précis of the situation in message 18 here…

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/QuickStart-set-up-and/Multiple-Failed-Installations-zero-commun...

And then re. install compensation - see the Ofcom rules….

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/phones-telecoms-and-internet/advice-for-consumers/costs-and-billing/automat...

And Tony’s excellent advice in message 7 here….

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/QuickStart-set-up-and/Join-the-club-FAILED-INTERNET-INSTALLATIO...

And an example of >£1300 “bill credit” upon connection.

https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showpost.php?p=36130259&postcount=1

And, a successful Compo outcome see message 29 …

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/QuickStart-set-up-and/Help-please-to-progress-pre-install/td-p/...

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Adri_G
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi, mm8.
Thank you for reaching out on our help forums and for your first post here.
Welcome to the VM community, glad to have you on board with us. 🙂

We're sorry to hear of the delays in installing your new services after a house move, in regard to these what has our team advised that has been causing them?
Is there any external (cabling) work pending completion or 3rd party permits involved so we can install you?

Also, have you called our Pre-Installs team at 0800 052 1734 to check for the latest updates on your install and did we recently email you to confirm a new date when this will take place?

Regarding the internet we've provided via a dongle due to this, we're sorry to see you're not happy with the performance. 
However, this is a temporary solution until we get to complete the work needed to link your property to our network and we're unable to guarantee a service equal to the cable broadband connection we provide in general.

We appreciate the inconvenience this may have caused so far due to the long time it takes to install you as this has been a poor customer journey.

Have you already raised a complaint with us about the delays on your previous contacts?
If not, let us know and we'll be happy to assist with logging this on the account so we can review your issues and work towards restoring this poor experience once your install is done.

Adri
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Hi Adri,

Thank you for replying.

Every time we called the team, the team were not sure that the issue was. The team has claimed that there is extra work to be done, however they have failed to tell me precisely what this is and reassured me that the next postponement would be the last. All we have been receiving is an endless series of almost identical postponement letters.

You have currently postponed eighteen postponement letters.

The first time the team sent someone, the person claimed that they only did the outside job and did not know when the full installation would be. Three months later, someone else came and told me that the first person had unblocked the wrong cable.

We have phoned the pre-install team on multiple occasions, and each time they assured us that a team would come at the time mentioned in the latest postponement email.

We have complained to the team by phone, however they have failed to solve the issue. We have also sent a letter, but have not received a reply. I am grateful for the reply, and would be very pleased if you could report this to the relevant department. Would you like us to send some personal details?

Hi John,

Thanks for the reply. I will speak to someone and see if I can get a service until Virgin installs my broadband.