cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fitting a new Virgin media wall socket

Alundar
Just joined

Im currently staying with family who use BT but wanted to pay for my own internet as i do online gaming and needed a better connection but the wall socket is in use and since i wanted a direct connection i was wondering if its possible to get a VM socket installed into my own room and how i would go about doing that.

3 REPLIES 3

Stephen93
Up to speed

A VM forum member will organise this for you it will cost £35 I think for an engineer call out, you just have to wait for them to answer, 

TableTop
Up to speed

So are you saying that the family you are currently living with are using BT for broadband, there’s no existing VM connection there at all?

In theory if this is the case then yes, it’s perfectly possible to have a VM connection installed in parallel with the BT connection, but who is going to pay for it? You would need to commit to an 18 month minimum term contract and even if you were to leave within this time, they will expect someone (probably you) to carry on paying for it.

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@Alundar wrote:

Im currently staying with family who use BT but wanted to pay for my own internet as i do online gaming and needed a better connection but the wall socket is in use and since i wanted a direct connection i was wondering if its possible to get a VM socket installed into my own room and how i would go about doing that.

VM uses its own network of cables so is not usually dependent on Openreach involvement in installing. An existing BT connection at the address should not be an issue.

But you would first need to confirm that the address is serviceable by VM

https://www.virginmedia.com/broadband/postcode-checker

You would then need to take out a package of services with VM

You will be signed up for a 18 or 24 month minimum term with VM which includes annual price rises of 3.9%+RPI each year. If you leave within the minimum term VM will charge you some hefty early disconnection fees.

Also, VM installs using a variety of methods. Usually this is from underground cable ducts and this involves bringing a cable from the access cover in the pavement to an outside box on the home. From there cables are run internally. You might want to run this by the homeowners as some of VM's installations can sometimes be lacking in regards to quality of workmanship.

You will need to factor in all of the above depending on how long your stay is at the property and what the homeowners agree to as regards having the VM cable installed.