cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extremely slow broadband reactivation

t17probe
Joining in

Basically I cancelled my broadband and TV package with Virgin Media on 26 November as I didn’t use the TV package and the price was due to double to £108. Way too expensive. It took nearly an hour on the phone to cancel. So I had the services disconnected. I then phoned for a cheaper deal on 30 November and was told it would take 24 hours for the broadband to be reactivated. I was not told that I would need a new hub as the old hub could not be reactivated. This I found out after several phone calls lasting at least 45 minutes. I am still without internet and it is now 5 December despite an engineer coming today to replace the previous hub. The engineer said it would take 30 minutes or up to 2 to 3 hours for the broadband to be reactivated. I have waited all day since this morning. Still no service. I am self-employed and work from home and rely on broadband connection. I simply do not understand why it is so slow to get the service reactivated? I mean, it’s been nearly a week now. What is going on?? I’m not happy about this at all. Very disappointed customer. Is there compensation for no service?

20 REPLIES 20

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Provisioning a new Hub onto your account is the reactivation process.... only seems to happen instantaneously when the Tech installing in situ calls them on their "hotline" - which they didnt do - had to get off to another job perhaps? 

You are now waiting on VM to do it... and as the Tech said  it can take hours,,, or maybe longer if its stuck in a computer or queue somewhere sometimes overnight.

All you can try is calling the equipment activation number on - 0800 953 9500 (follow options) and check with them. You will need the Model numbers, serial numbers/MAC addresses off the barcode stickers of ALL pieces of kit and also your account number to get through the process.

And then re. install compensation - see the Ofcom rules….

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/phones-telecoms-and-internet/advice-for-consumers/costs-and-billing/automat...

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Thanks for your response. Well I have now been without internet since 1st December. I called the call centre again today and was on the phone for another hour. They did all the checks at their side and nothing could be resolved, only to send out another engineer. As this was now deemed urgent, an engineer arrived this evening. Alas, he could not get my internet working either. He informed me that their had been a wider outage on new accounts not having internet activated. So, although I was an existing customer it is as though I am a new one. The engineer phoned his manager while he was here who said my account had been passed through to the IT department, because of “an account issue”. I asked what that means I am none the wiser. So unfortunately I am still in the dark with no idea if my internet will return at all. It seems I have no other option but to try and find another provider asap as I am not able to work as I cannot log in to anything.

The whole situation is just bizarre. I have been a long standing customer. Extremely disappointed to say the least. I will be seeking compensation.

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

You're not an existing customer because you cancelled, remember? You are a new customer on the same level as every other new customer.

It was quite a risk to take, cancelling your broadband when it was so important to you. What if VM had not come back with a lower offer? 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

I didn’t see any risk in cancelling? What risks? Didn’t think it would be such a lengthy process to reinstate the broadband if the cabling was already connected. From a monetary point of view I had to cancel as it was going to be far too expensive. The price was due to increase from £54 to £108 per month. I was on the phone for a good hour trying to cancel and the price they could offer me to keep me wasn’t good enough and for a lower speed. After cancelling I then discovered I could broadband from Virgin Media discounted to £15 per month for 6 months then £33 per month so it was a no brainier.

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

VM are never going to make it too easy for you to save money at their expense, or everyone will be queuing up to do the same. You'll get what you want eventually. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

Well they certainly aren’t making it easy to get the broadband back. But realistically, in a cost of living crisis, why on earth should I be paying £108 a month for just broadband? Seems like daylight robbery to me! It was common sense to cancel. I only signed up again after discovering I could have the broadband at a much cheaper price. I have been with Virgin Media as my broadband provider for several years now.

At this stage I have absolutely no idea when I will get internet access. Starting to feel like I won’t and am being penalised by VM for cancelling simply because I couldn’t afford the high costs.

carl_pearce
Community elder

I'm pretty sure you cannot sign back up as a new customer within such a short period, so something has gone wrong. Everyone would do it if VM allowed it!

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Managing-Your-Account-Cable/Cancel-and-my-partner-join-as-new-c...

That’s a three year old thread but I never knew that. It was not my intention to cancel simply to rejoin. The price increase wasn’t feasible to retain the services. I went looking for another supplier. I simply noticed that the price was a lot cheaper with VM and as I already still had the kit, it made sense to phone VM to reconnect. When I phoned the sales team, nobody said I couldn’t purchase again or within a specific timeframe. I’ve phoned the call centre at least three times, nearly an hour on the phone each time. If it was the case that I could not sign up again, surely I would have been told. Two engineers have been to my house also and not said anything. And like I said, the member of staff in the sales team didn’t say anything.

Hence why I said something has gone wrong.

Best to wait for a reply from VM.