cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do I need an engineer visit, torn cable

ConnaughM
Joining in

Good evening, I’ve recently had work done in my property and the contractors had removed a box from the wall (see left of picture) and torn the cable along the way, this is coming directly from the virgin media outlet on the wall(see right). 
I have not been using the box for anything and my virgin internet is still working fine so just wondering if I need to have someone come out to replace said box or whether it can just be sort of tucked away? Thanks in advance

image.jpg

6 REPLIES 6

goslow
Alessandro Volta

The trailing cable is a phone cable/socket.

Does your VM package include a landline and, if you wanted to use it, would you ever need to plug into the phone socket?

If you are broadband only with VM, and your broadband connection has not been affected by the builder damage, then you could just coil the phone cable out of the way.

Client62
Legend

I would refit the phone socket onto the undamaged section of the phone line seen on right hand side of the photo.

Jonny-M
Fibre optic

I would cut the line off and throw the socket away, if you ever took a landline service from VM it would be provided out of the socket on the Hub, leaving the old line redundant anyway.

Thanks for the reply, if I was to cut this off closer to the large box on the right would I just use electrical tape to cover the ends and leave as is? Is it within my rights to do this or would Virgin bill me?

Thanks 

Hi there @ConnaughM 

Thank you so much for your post and welcome to the community forums, it's great to have you here. 

I am so sorry to hear that you have faced this issue with the wire, we would not recommend cutting the cable as it could introduce noise to the network. 

I'm going to pop you a private message so we can take a quick look and see if there is something else we can advise to resolve this. I will pop you a PM across now, please keep an eye out for the envelope at the top of your screen alerting you to a new message.

rovman
Tuning in

That looks like a BT Openreach phone cable. I would just trim the wire before its split and mount the box back on the wall to the right of the radiator.

The wire will have 2 twisted pairs, but only one pair will be wired up, so just look in the "box" to see which pair to wire in.

They will be a push-in style connection, you can get a proper tool to do the job (search Krone punchdown tool) - but honestly, you'd probably get away with using a thin piece of metal (small flathead screwdriver - just be sure you don't spread the pins that receive the wire)