cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Delayed installation - Construction and Compensation

shinycharizard
Tuning in

Hi,

I signed up for the highest package back in Nov for an install in Dec 2023.

It was delayed a few times each with them cancelling the install just days before it until we reached March.  In March the engineer didn't turn up and no-one rescheduled anything.  Upon calling they tell me my home was deemed 'unserviceable' and they're sorry for not informing me.
I don't have any confirmation of this despite requesting it numerous times.

I then do a huge amount of calls and investigations to find it was deemed 'unserviceable' because there were gas works outside.

I manage to get a UK based 'spotter' by talking to the UK sales team.  They send a chap who confirms it's all good now but informs me to sign a new contract via email.
I do this and the install is booked in install for a few weeks later. However, the same delay process happens which each date being cancelled and moved just before they should connect us.

Now i'm nearing 6 months since I signed up, and I have three unknowns I'm hoping someone can shed some light on.

1. How do I contact the construction team / Avoline (they have only called back once despite numerous requests) to find out if/when the external works will be complete?
  2. Has anyone had successful compensation via the Ofcom automatic compensation scheme or does VM try to use their invented 'provisional install date' to try get out it?  I understand this is due, even if you cancel the contract and go elsewhere - and can be a cheque rather than credit.
  3. Has anyone done a subject access request and got the voice recordings sent to them?  I've initiated this already to cover myself as VM have consistently lied to me over the phone and ensured me that it will 100% be installed on 'x date', or the works will be complete, or some other lie.

I'm really worried about their operations team as the service is just terrible, and I haven't even joined yet!

Thanks,

3 REPLIES 3

goslow
Alessandro Volta

You should be eligible for compensation for the first failed install (Nov '23 to Mar '24). You should also be eligible for the second install if this too is in delay. In answer to your questions:

1 The number for installations is the pre-installation and delivery team on 0800 052 1734. However, those taking calls seem unable to change/influence anything about your installation. They simply relay the next date that pops up on their screen. This can often be an automated rolling date showing the day you make the call and the call handler will 'guarantee' someone will attend but, time and again on here, there is no reliability to this and usually no one turns up. Generally customers can't make contact direct with the installation sub-contractor. In some past topics on here the customer has made progress via the sub-contractor but this normally seems to happen by random luck when the customer happens to bump into the 'right' person from the sub-contractor on site to make things happen.

2 Topics on here regularly describe VM trying to dodge paying out the required compensation. It is normally the case though (from past customer feedback on here) that when the case is heard by the ombudsman the customer gets a fair hearing and the compo is awarded. Key to success with the ombudsman seems to be keeping an accurate and detailed record of events (with evidence) so the adjudicator can easily follow the sequence of events that has taken place. The compo is due even if the customer or VM cancels. I believe it is possible to request payment by cheque rather than credit. If you are due compo but never actually become a customer then you are paid by cheque.

3 VM has been taken to task in the past by the ICO for poor handling of DSAR. Topics on here regularly mention difficulties getting any/all of the information requested in a timely fashion. Usual advice would be to record any calls to VM yourself if you can.

Thanks for the reply.

I was forced to take holiday on Wednesday as trying to WFH whilst tethering didn't cut it. So now I have ordered Now TV over phone line as a back up and they're installing on Friday. The whole process for this Sky sub brand seems to be much better than Virgin media already! It's just such a shame FTTP isn't here yet on BT lines.

In regards to SAR I'll have to submit my own as I haven't even got a confirmation yet from VM they are on the case.

John_GS
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @shinycharizard 

Thanks for posting and welcome back to the community. Sorry to hear of the install delay and also the issue around the property being a non-serve.

How to submit a DSAR can be found here - https://www.virginmedia.com/

I'll send you a PM though to investigate the install.

Best wishes.

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill