Menu
MattBennett
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Configuring 5x Static IP's

After 3 different calls to VM Business, this is my last resort!

We've got a 50mb VM Business line, with 5-6 static IP addresses and a Superhub 3.0 which was installed last week. After chasing with out account manager, we managed to find out what our IP address range was (why don't the engineers leave this with the client? Why do we have to chase this?)

However, it's like VM themselves don't know how to set this up. We get bounced between various support lines (as we're public sector) so each call, even if we use our PIN, has us redirected multiple times. And when we do get through to someone, they "don't know" and need to call us back.

So please....can anyone tell us how to configure the Superhub, and our Cisco device? Previously, with 1x fixed IP, we've set the Superhub to "modem mode", single IP on our router, and this works fine....but in this case, SH3 is in Router Mode and it can't be changed?

So Google (not the engineers!) tells me that this is correct, for 5x IP's, and I simply set the end devices (that is, our own routers network interface) to one of the IP addresses in the range we're assigned.

So the IP is set (along with gateway, subnet, DNS) but no connection. However, I notice we've also been given an email address and a password, similar to what you'd get with a PPPoE - how does this come into the equation? Is this for the GRE Tunnel (again, that Google) tells me about?

Any help would be appreciated!

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Configuring 5x Static IP's

Hey there MattBennett,

Thanks for posting and a big welcome to the community Smiley Very Happy

Sorry to hear that you're struggling with your Business line. I'm really sorry to tell you that we're only trained to support our residential customers here on the forum, so you will need to continue to call and speak with Business Tech Support.

In the mean time I will leave your thread open in hope that other community members might pop by with more info.

Thanks again for posting,

Take care.

Heather_J

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

I have the 5 IP 100Mb service.

The Hub you have is not a Superhub 3 (AKA Hub 3.0) if you have the correct Hub it should be a Hitron CGNV4.

Screen Shot 2017-03-08 at 17.07.22.png

Make sure the GRE Tunnel State is Connected as show on the pic taken from my own Hitron Hub.
You will have 6 IPs listed in the drop down box. The first will be your default Gateway so leave that as it is.

With the 5IP service DHCP and NAT is disabled. So you will need to configure your end devices with the following.

IP addess: any of the last 5 in the list.
Default Gateway: the first IP listed.
Subnet is: 255.255.255.248

DNS servers. any you wish to use. e.g. Google 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4

200Mb(SH2 SH2AC Hub 3.0), 2 X V6 TV XL, Phone M. 100Mb Business (Hitron Hub).
MattBennett
Joining in
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Just to put a close to this, and in case anyone else has similar issues...

It was a fault with the service. A VM engineer came out and resolved the problem - we believe it involved a factory reset, and inputting the PPP settings back into the SuperHub, then it was running.

HOWEVER! Performance was still dire, we eventually got another senior tech our who advised us to turn off "Flood detection" - this made a huge difference, and everything is running perfectly (or seems to be).

So everything is dandy Smiley Happy

0 Kudos