Check your service statusCable National
Ask a question
Fresh as a Daisy
vxross

Call from Virgin Media 0800 408 9341

Hi all,

I've had a call on my mobile from 'Virgin Media' apparently regarding my broadband being upgraded for free. Anyway they asked for the 1st and 3rd letters of my secuirty question and I gave them it, but not I'm worried it may have been a scam.... :smileysurprised:\ They then mentioned they can upgrade my package to include a phone deal but I mentioned I don't use anything but a mobile and they swiftly went off the call...

Any idea's if this was a genuine call? If not I guess I should ring virgin and change my password asap!?

Ross

Please use plain text.
Superuser
Graham_A

Re: Call from Virgin Media 0800 408 9341

The number you quote is a genuine VM team phone number so it was unlikely to be a scam.

If I have solved your problem please click on the helpful answer button.
Please use plain text.
Fresh as a Daisy
vxross

Great. Thanks for the quick response Graham.

Much appreciated.

Please use plain text.
One to Watch
TheRiddler

You can't be to careful these days. There are loads of telephone scam out there. I had one the other day saying it was from Microsoft and that they had detected a problem with my computer and they wanted to remote access it. When I asked them for there telephone number to call them back, they then put the phone down on me. Obviously a scam.
Please use plain text.
Superuser
Swt4ajp

Graham_A wrote:

The number you quote is a genuine VM team phone number so it was unlikely to be a scam.

its not hard to clone a telephone number espech on voip

TheRiddler wrote: You can't be to careful these days. There are loads of telephone scam out there. I had one the other day saying it was from Microsoft and that they had detected a problem with my computer and they wanted to remote access it. When I asked them for there telephone number to call them back, they then put the phone down on me. Obviously a scam.

yea i usually open up a virtual machine and then remove all access tothe rest of the network and see what they do on a dumb virtual machine lol

take them for a ride and then start saying that machine was clean before you touched it now theres a virus are you going to pay me to get it cleaned by a local computer shop lol

Please use plain text.
One to Watch
TheRiddler

Brilliant I will try that next time they call. I have had three calls from them so far within 12 months. You and I are clued up with these scams. It is the older generation I worry for. They are the lowest of the low.
Please use plain text.
One to Watch
TheRiddler

The scamers I mean. Not the older generation. Lol
Please use plain text.
Superuser
Swt4ajp

TheRiddler wrote:
Brilliant I will try that next time they call. I have had three calls from them so far within 12 months. You and I are clued up with these scams. It is the older generation I worry for. They are the lowest of the low.

there was an old women who got conned from darwen, lancashire only the other month it was in the lancashire telegraph felt kinda sorry for her though.

as i mentioned just setup a virtual pc and then remove all access to the network (seal it off) and  have fun with the scammers lol

Please use plain text.
One to Watch
P_Ninja

[ Edited ]
I can Confirm these calls are not a scam!

My story is short, shorter than most of the reports I've been reading on nuisance calls from this number.
We have been getting calls from the above number for a few weeks, but not as intense as some people have.
What's commen is the bad or broken English and the seemingly unknowable person on the other end of the line.
But always with a strong accent and made up nickname. (asked one what Nick was short for, he didn't know)
Basicly these guys are calling from virgin media telesales. How close their relationship is I don't know But I've a feeling things will change soon as these calls annoy more people.

So, how do I know...

Yesterday I got a call from the above 0800 number and as I'm not the named account holder he couldn't progress with the call or tell me what it was regarding.
I usually deal with all the virgin stuff here, alough the account is in my mrs name.

Anyhow, I called virgin back dialling 150 from my virgin landline and the operator with our account open in front of him was able to tell me that nobody other than him right now has accessed our acount this day.

Alarm bell ringing I'm convinced at this point the 0800 calls are a scam,
I'm advised not to give them any details should they call back.

Next day, (today) the mobile rings and there's the 0800 number again.
As the woman started reading from the script on her screen I cut in and asked to speak to a superviser This stumped her for a second,
but she put me on hold and after a few momentsI a guy picked up claiming to be a superviser.

Here's where it gets interesting... He told me that unless they speak to the named acount holder and begin the sales pitch the operator doesn't open your acount page, and are just calling numbers from a generated list with acount holders names.
Remember at this point I'm still talking to someone from that 0800 number.
This would explain 150 not having a record of it.
I asked him to open our acount page and leave a note, so he did.
I then ended the call and imedeatly called 150 from our virgin land line and
YES the woman at virgin media (150) had a note on our acount page that We not only received a call from their 'sales team' but the note also went on to say that I had requested a superviser.

SO, I'm satisfied that this is not a scam, and is Infact just a feckin nuisance call.

She (the woman on 150) advised me to login to our 'my virgin media' thing on the virgin media website
And do something (I couldn't realy hear as my kids started playing up) but it was something like Amending our TPS or telephone preference service I think?
And this would end not just this, but all telesales calls on our virgin landline. Hope this helps guys
Please use plain text.
Usually Always Right
Steve_Brett

Hi P_Ninja

For info, subscription to the Telephone Preference Service does not stop the sales calls, it just makes the caller end the call quicker when you say "Are you familiar with the telephone preference service"

Personally I would never give any security information on a call not initiated by myself, unless the caller can supply information to prove that he has access to my account first.

Good to hear that this one was not a scam, but do be careful even giving out 2 letters from you security word, as next time they may ask for a different 2 letters and before long they will have the complete security information.
Kind Regards,

Steve Brett
Help & Support Forum Team

Seen a useful post?Problem Solved?Fault with your service?

Please use plain text.